Home   Sport   Article

High-flyers grab victory with last minute winner after Hotson's penalty heroics

Cottesmore Amateurs boss Rich Giblin admitted conceding a last minute goal was cruel on his charges as they suffered late heartbreak at Westray Park on Saturday.

They looked to be on course for pocketing an excellent point against high-flying FC GNG in the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division clash.

However, the visitors snatched victory with an 89th minute winner to condemn Cottesmore to a fifth successive league defeat.

Danny Seals showed excellent work-rate in the Cottesmore midfield. (6499595)
Danny Seals showed excellent work-rate in the Cottesmore midfield. (6499595)

Giblin said: “It was a good performance and disappointing to lose so late on. It was cruel on the lads who had put in so much hard work.

“We just got pipped at the post when maybe we thought we had done enough, but to be beaten by a goal in the 89th minute is a cruel way to lose a game.

“I’ve got no complaints about the performance. It was a lot better than the last game against Desford.

“We worked really hard and dealt with everything apart from the one at the end which ultimately counted.

“The work-rate was excellent. I couldn’t fault any of the players. We worked so hard, but just came unstuck at the end.

“If I’m being brutally honest, we didn’t deserve all three points but we merited at least a point. Come the end of the season, people just look at league tables though so we need to learn to get over the finishing line.

“We need to learn to shut up shop rather than going for the three points.

“But, if we had lost 3-0 or 4-0, I would have been worried so I’m not after a performance like that.

“We now need to take this performance into Saturday’s game at Kirby Muxloe which is a big one and get some consistency rather than having a good game, a poor game and an average game and I think the boys will do that because there were far more positives than negatives.”

Cottesmore changed their formation to a 4-3-3 for the first time this season while also handing a first team debut to goalkeeper Jonny Hotson.

They had the better of the opening exchanges with Danny Seals showing an excellent work-rate in the centre of the park while Ben Richards performed superbly despite playing out of position at left-back.

Fourth-placed GNG gradually grew into the contest and had the best opening of the first half when their forward raced clear only to slice his shot wide.

Hotson then saved well from a similar opening before excelling again in the second period when GNG were awarded a penalty following a foul by Colton Cropper.

The Cottesmore custodian saved the spot kick and then reacted smartly to block the rebound and keep his side on level terms.

The save lifted Cottesmore and they created their best chance of game when Tom Pope burst clear only for his well-struck shot to be thwarted by a brilliant block from the GNG goalkeeper.

Just as it looked like the game would finish goalless, GNG grabbed a last-gasp goal as an inch-perfect pass set up substitute Cameron Powell to power home the match-winning strike.

Cottesmore: Hotson, Waby, Wilke, Cropper, Richards, L Smith, Bendle, Seals, Stannard (Atkins), J Smith, Pope. Subs not used: Milne, S Smith, Green, Mellor.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More