Home   Sport   Article

Late goals sink Ketton; Oakham unable to find equaliser

Mackenzie Byrne (left) and Dom Jones (centre) netted for Ketton on Tuesday night. (4439167)
Mackenzie Byrne (left) and Dom Jones (centre) netted for Ketton on Tuesday night. (4439167)

Ketton and Oakham United both produced battling displays before bowing out of the Leicestershire Senior Cup to higher level opposition on Tuesday night.

Three goals in the final 10 minutes ended Ketton's hopes of causing an upset after a 5-3 away defeat at United Counties League Division One side Aylestone Park.

Oakham were also edged out by UCL Division One opposition after a narrow 2-1 away loss at Lutterworth Athletic.

Joint Ketton boss Chris Lyon was proud of his side’s dispay as they just ran out of steam in the latter stages of the first round clash.

He said: “I was proper happy with the performance. They knew they had been in a game which is what we set out to do.

“We weren’t outplayed. It was just tired legs at the end because every player gave their all.

“We showed passion, desire, heart and our energy levels were as high as they have ever been. I was proud of the performance.”

Aylestone took a 10th minute, but that was cancelled out five minutes later by a sublime effort as Matt Woodman pinged a 50-yard diagonal pass into the box which Dom Jones superbly volleyed home.

Ketton again fell behind, but responded as Joe Hussey waltzed around two challenges before being brought down and picking himself up to fire home the resultant penalty into the bottom corner.

After absorbing some Aylestone pressure, Ketton took the lead for the first time as a fine through ball released Mackenzie Byrne who finished in a one-on-one.

However, Aylestone equalised with 10 minutes remaining and then struck twice more in the dying throes to deny Ketton an upset.

Lyon added: “We started dreaming of a cup upset, but it wasn't to be. We left everything on the pitch though and came away with our heads held high.

“We now look to take that attitude and character into Saturday’s league match against a decent Whittlesey side.”

Oakham found themselves a goal down inside the opening minute of their match at Lutterworth Athletic who are currently riding high in Division One of the United Counties League.

They then suffered an injury setback to their goalkeeper which forced player-manager Stewart Lambie to take over again.

Athletic doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time but, despite missing a number of first team regulars, Oakham halved the deficit after the break through Ben Easson.

But they were unable to force an equaliser despite a determined performance from their depleted charges.

Lambie said: “I couldn’t fault the work-rate of the players against a team sitting fifth in Division One of the UCL, especially with eight of the first team squad missing and me having to play in goal for 80 minutes.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More