Home   Sport   Article

Amateurs thwarted in chance to topple league leaders

A floodlight failure left Cottesmore frustrated in Saturday’s home clash with Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division high-flyers Thurnby Rangers.

Amateurs had just got back on level terms through Harry Stannard’s 14th goal of the season when the match was abandoned with the lights not working down one side of the Westray Park pitch.

The two teams had tried to continue with the lights failing at the start of the second half and Cottesmore co-boss Alex Cross was disappointed at seeing his side being denied the chance of toppling the joint league leaders.

Harry Stannard struck Cottesmore's goal in Saturday's abandoned game. (5747547)
Harry Stannard struck Cottesmore's goal in Saturday's abandoned game. (5747547)

He said: “It was really frustrating because we were the better team.

“We were on top in the first half and created loads of chances. They probably created two and scored one of them.

“We got the equaliser and looked like we would definitely go on and get something from the game when the lights went out down one side.

“It would have been difficult, but we could have finished the game. They seemed pretty keen to get off the pitch though.

“It’s just one of those things, but you do feel for the volunteers at the club when things like that happen.

“The game will have to be replayed and we need to make sure that we put in the same sort of performance as last Saturday.”

Cottesmore had handed a debut to new defensive recruit Darren Wilkie against a Thurnby side who started the day on top of the table.

The hosts dominated the early exchanges with Jordan Smith seeing a well-struck effort blocked while Luke Smith sent another effort over the bar before Stannard was denied in a one-on-one by the Rangers keeper after being played through by Danny Seals.

Thurnby then took advantage of Cottesmore conceding a needless free-kick and former Amateurs player Jaede Timms headed the visitors in front.

Stannard again went close to bringing Cottesmore level early in the second half before their top scorer did find the net from a Seals pass to equalise.

That prompted the referee to delay proceedings in the hope that the lights could be fixed but, when that didn’t happen, he was forced to abandon the game.

Cottesmore now turn their attentions to this weekend’s league trip to Barlestone St Giles where they expect to welcome back striker Tom Pope plus defensive duo Ben Richards and Craig McJannet into their ranks.

Cross commented: “We beat Barlestone in the county cup a few weeks ago, but they will be a lot different side at home. We’re looking forward to it though and hopefully we’ll be pretty much at full strength which is a nice position to be in.

“It was good to have Darren Wilkie with us last weekend as we’ve been looking for a while to bring in an experienced head.

“We were a little bit conscious that there are a lot of young players in the squad. Darren played really well and gave us that bit of calmness at the back.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More