Home   Sport   Article

Strong showing sees Town take their place in last four

Uppingham Town are aiming to land their first county silverware for nearly 20 years after securing their spot in the semi-finals of the Leicestershire Intermediate Cup on Saturday.

Town defeated Ashby Ivanhoe Knights 3-2 in Saturday’s quarter-final clash at Tod’s Piece to book their place in the last four of the competition for only the second time in two decades.

They last tasted county success in 2000 having twice previously reached the semi-finals of Leicestershire competitions in the late nineties.

Rob Montgomery's well-taken finish put Uppingham 3-1 ahead. (6411339)
Rob Montgomery's well-taken finish put Uppingham 3-1 ahead. (6411339)

Saturday’s success in their first match of the New Year extended their unbeaten run to 17 games after battling back from conceding first against their high-flying Leicestershire Senior League Division One visitors.

Town had started the stronger of the two teams and created chances with Callum O’Berg firing wide from just inside the box and Will Thomas just failing to reach a cross-shot from Rob Forster.

It was the away side who responded though with a well-taken goal after 15 minutes when they broke free from a long clearance and slipped the ball past Tom Hubbard in the Uppingham goal to go 1-0 up.

Uppingham reacted well to going behind and were level within 10 minutes when Jordan Spencer went past two defenders and hit a low cross into the box to find Thomas who finished from eight yards out.

The equaliser settled Uppingham down and allowed them to continue to push forward with good work from James Howe and Cameron Cleaver who played in Spencer on the right and he cut inside to hit home from 16 yards after 30 minutes which gave the keeper no chance.

Uppingham’s third goal of the game after 35 minutes came from a good move which started with O’Berg in midfield who found Forster on the left and he crossed first time for Rob Montgomery to make it 3-1 with a well-taken finish.

Ashby continued to look to get back into the game but, with limited chances, the score remained at 3-1 to the home side at half-time.

Uppingham continued to create chances after the break and started strongly to force corners and free kicks around the Ashby box but some indifferent finishing and good saves from the away keeper kept the visitors in the game.

Ashby themselves continued to push forward in an attempt to get back into the game which made for an open game of football for both teams although there were not too many clear chances being created.

Uppingham held firm in defence and almost saw out the game with no further goals until Ashby pulled one back in the last minute when a free kick went past Hubbard who stood no chance from a deflected shot from 20 yards.

This was another strong team performance from an in-form Uppingham side who now face Oundle Town this weekend at Tod’s Piece in the quarter-final of the Peterborough Challenge Cup (1.30pm kick-off).

Uppingham: Tom Hubbard, Jordan Spencer, Billy Henshaw, Danny Dumford, Josh Porter, James Howe, Callum O'Berg, Rob Montgomery, Will Thomas,Rob Forster, Cameron Cleaver. Subs: Jonny Forster, Harry Bains.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More