Home   Sport   Article

Dominant Deeping display secures home victory

Deeping Rangers recorded a third successive United Counties League Premier Division victory after a 4-1 home win over Rothwell Corinthians on Saturday.

Rangers responded to a 3-2 away defeat at Potton in the Hinchingbrooke Cup last Tuesday with a dominant display as two goals in each half secured the success despite missing a number of chances to boost their goal difference.

Deeping Rangers v Rothwell Corinthians. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5341366)
Deeping Rangers v Rothwell Corinthians. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5341366)

Deeping handed a debut to former Peterborough United and Kettering goalkeeper Lewis Elsom who made a good save early on to deny Langley Voss who had burst clear following a ball over the Deeping defence.

The Clarets gradually started to take control with David Burton-Jones volleying just over and Danny Durkin being denied by a good save from Luke Reay in the Corinthians goal.

Elsom made a tidy stop with his legs to thwart Aaron Healey before Durkin had an effort cleared off the line by Aidan Smith after he had rounded Reay.

Reay was the busier of the two goalkeepers as he first denied Durkin before preventing Dan Jarvis scoring his first goal for the club.

The breakthrough came after 38 minutes when Rangers were awarded a penalty after strong appeals had earlier been turned down when Durkin went down under Sam Tully’s challenge.

Durkin was this time bundled over and, although Burton-Jones saw his initial spot kick saved with Reay also blocking the follow-up, the Clarets captain converted at the third attempt.

Reay twice denied Dan Schiavi before Deeping doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time as Durkin was played into the box and steered his shot beyond the Corinthians custodian.

Deeping Rangers v Rothwell Corinthians. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5341370)
Deeping Rangers v Rothwell Corinthians. Photo: Lee Hellwing (5341370)

The early exchanges of the second period were scrappy with James Stephenson lobbing an effort wide for Rothwell after Elsom had slipped in the wet conditions taking a goal kick.

Deeping found the net again just past the hour mark when a good move saw Charlie Coulson thread a pass through to Dan Flack who pulled the ball back for Schiavi to convert.

Flack then produced a superb block to deny Charlie Dolden in a rare Rothwell rally with Tully curling a free-kick wide while Luke Hunnings got in the way of a fierce strike from substitute Adefolarin Ademidun.

Rangers missed a glorious chance to increase their lead further when Harry Allcock hit the crossbar from close range after Jonny Lockie had outpaced Aaron Campion to create the opening.

Allcock though turned provider for Deeping’s fourth goal in the 90th minute as he supplied Mooney in the box whose turn and precise effort sailed into the top corner.

Rothwell replied with an injury-time consolation for their efforts as Stephenson applied a good finish from just inside the box which gave Elsom no chance.

There was still time for Reay save again after Lockie had sped past the defence into the box only to see his shot saved by the keeper’s leg as Rangers recorded another three point return which keeps them in fifth place.

Rangers: Elsom, Flack, Fryett, Burton-Jones, Hunnings, Andersen, Jarvis (Allcock 70), Coulson (Carter 65), Mooney, Durkin (Lockie 61), Schiavi. Subs not used: Marsden, Conway.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More