Home   Sport   Article

Town on target for cup double and promotion to the Premier Division

A strong second half showing secured Uppingham Town's second cup final place of the season at the weekend.

Town scored three goals without reply in the second period of Saturday's Peterborough Challenge Cup semi-final with Spalding Town to run out 5-1 winners and book their final place against Eye United.

Martin Turiccki(7456170)
Martin Turiccki(7456170)

It took 20 minutes for the Peterborough League Division One sides to try and find some rhythm on Saturday on a pitch which did not help either team.

Spalding created a few half chances but never really threatened Tom Hubbard in the Uppingham goal while the away side went close when Rob Montgomery forced a corner after a last-ditch clearance from a home defender.

It was Uppingham who took the lead when Rob Forster cut inside from the left and, from just in the box, scored with a good finish across the keeper inside the far post.

Spalding kept the game open and came back into the contest when some hesitancy in the Uppingham defence allowed a chance to the home side who took advantage with a good finish from Ashley Wilson into the far corner from just inside the box.

The balance of the game tipped again in Uppingham's favour when Harry Bains showed great endeavour and went past a few defenders which created the chance for Forster who made no mistake to make it 2-1 to Town with five minutes of the first half remaining.

Uppingham started the second half strongly and were causing problems for the home side with Martin Turiccki making it 3-1 to the visitors after 20 minutes.

Turiccki showed some good close control in the box before going past two defenders and calmly hitting home from 10 yards.

Spalding pushed forward to try and get back into the game, but Turiccki again scored with his second goal with just 20 minutes of the second half left.

The Uppingham midfielder made this all himself when he closed down a Spalding defender 30 yards from goal, blocked the attempted clearance and moved forward into the box to lift the ball over the advancing keeper for the best goal of the game.

In the remaining 10 minutes of the game, with Spalding pushing forward, it was Uppingham who took advantage of the extra space in the home team's half and made it 5-1.

Forster created space on the right wing and floated his cross to the far post for James Howe to head home from six yards out.

With two cup finals to look forward to and on course for promotion to the Premier Division, Uppingham will want to finish the season strongly in their remaining fixtures to hopefully collect some silverware.

Town: Hubbard, Spencer, Henshaw, Dumford, Turiccki, Porter, Howe, O'Berg, Montgomery, Forster, Bains. Subs: Thomas, Eldridge, Salt, Binley, Cleaver.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More