Home   Sport   Article

Opposition duo refuse to leave the pitch after being sin-binned

Uppingham Town manager Paul O’Berg praised the actions of his players after their Peterborough League clash was abandoned on Saturday.

Town looked well on course to extend their unbeaten run to 15 games when they led hosts Bretton North End 4-1 just past the hour mark of the Division One clash.

However, within a few minutes of Town scoring their fourth goal, two Bretton players disagreed with a decision made by the match referee who sin-binned the duo.

But the players refused to leave the pitch, forcing referee Louisa Thorold to abandon the match with Uppingham now awaiting rulings from the Football Association and Peterborough League as to whether the game will need to be replayed or they are awarded the three points.

James Howe and Rob Montgomery (6068353)
James Howe and Rob Montgomery (6068353)

O’Berg commented: “The arguments were continued by the Bretton players towards the referee after the two players refused to leave the pitch.

“It was the goodwill and good sense by the Uppingham players and management that settled the situation down, although by this time the referee had made her decision and the game could not be then restarted.

“The response from all the lads in our first team squad was exceptional with controlled discipline in their care and attention towards the referee.

“We as a club have to be extremely proud of the lads in very difficult circumstances and I would like to express my thanks to them all for maintaining their high standards.”

The game had started in wet and windy conditions which did not allow too much flowing football to be played in the opening 20 minutes.

Uppingham did go close twice when Rob Montgomery almost beat the keeper to a back pass and shortly after the home custodian kept out a good effort from Martin Turiccki from outside the box.

The home team forced two corners which were dealt with by Uppingham easily enough, but the game was evenly matched until the referee sin-binned a Bretton player which gave Uppingham the advantage for the next 10 minutes in which they scored twice.

The first Uppingham goal came from a corner after 20 minutes when James Howe reacted quickest to a knock down in the box to score from close range.

Uppingham scored again five minutes later with a terrific shot from 25 yards by Turiccki which gave the keeper no chance.

Bretton North End v Uppingham (6068369)
Bretton North End v Uppingham (6068369)

Bretton hit back and with five minutes of the half remaining took advantage of some indecision in midfield and scored with a good finish from the home striker when he raced onto a through ball to round Tom Hubbard in the Uppingham goal and finish into an empty net.

Uppingham, although leading 2-1 at half-time, were well below their best and their quick start to the second period showed that the interval was a needed break.

They showed that they did not intend to sit back and rely on just a one-goal advantage and created some good chances before Turiccki scored his second goal of the game after 10 minutes with a good header from a Rob Forster cross.

Uppingham continued to drive forward and were rewarded five minutes later with their fourth goal when Jordan Spencer finished well from 15 yards after being put through by Forster.

Within a few minutes of Uppingha’s fourth goal, two Bretton players disagreed with a decision made in midfield by the referee and forced her to abandon the game when they were reduced to nine men but refused to leave the pitch after being sin-binned.

Town: Tom Hubbard, Jordan Spencer, Cameron Cleaver, Billy Henshaw, Jack Salt, James Howe (c), Callum O'Berg, Rob Montgomery, Martin Turiccki, Rob Forster, Harry Bains. Subs: Will Thomas, Jamie Binley, Jonny Forster.

Uppingham Town Reserves enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 win against Whittlesey’s second string in Division Three on a freezing cold Tod’s Piece.

Following a frustrating draw the week before Uppingham were keen to make amends and, despite being three points behind Whittlesey, they outperformed them from the start.

In tricky conditions Town quickly controlled the match and on the 15 minute mark went 1-0 up through a simple finish by Jack Godfrey for his fourth goal of the season.

A few minutes later Darren Short scored the goal of the game with a great turn on the outside of the area followed by a superb cross goal finish.

Gary Rix made it 3-0 just before half-time with a great solo run and a composed finish to the right of the keeper.

Town, at 3-0 up, showed some complacency early in the second half which Whittlesey responded to by reducing the arrears.

However, Uppingham replied perfectly with a Liam Mullineaux goal following a great assist from Godfrey.

Uppingham had a whole host of other opportunities to increase the scoreline, including a couple of goalline clearances, however it remained 4-1 which propelled Town up to eighth.

Manager Joe Harley said: “It was a fantastic performance from the offset and all the lads did themselves proud.

“There’s a great buzz at Town this season and that’s finally being reflected in the results.”

Town: Jamie Forsythe, Mark Binley, Gary Rix, Martin Owers, Daniel Foster, Omar Elkashoty, Darren Short, Luke Eldridge, Jack Godfrey, Liam Mullineux, Liam Hull. Subs: Tyler Hull, Ryan Hunnings, Oscar Body, Louis Miles.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More