Home   Sport   Article

Town continue pursuit of the league leaders

It’s now 13 games unbeaten for Uppingham Town who ran out 3-0 winners in Saturday’s home Peterborough League Division One clash with King’s Cliffe.

The Tod’s Piece side have an eight-point cushion in second spot in the table while trailing league leaders Parson Drove by nine points with two games in hand.

As with most games this season, Uppingham started strongly and forced a number of chances within the first 20 minutes of the game.

Jordan Spencer's goal. (5759986)
Jordan Spencer's goal. (5759986)

Stuart Markley in the King’s Cliffe goal made some outstanding saves from James Howe and Callum O’Berg to ensure the scoreline remained goalless.

The home team forced a number of corners but could not find that all important first goal of the game until Will Thomas opened the scoring with a deflected shot from 20 yards which gave Uppingham the lead after 35 minutes.

Howe then hit a 25-yard volley just over the bar and Rob Forster again forced the King’s Cliffe keeper into another save in the last few minutes of the first half to take Uppingham into the break 1-0 up.

Uppingham maintained their pressure at the start of the second half and it was some good work on the right-hand side which resulted in Jordan Spencer’s shot again being well saved by the Kings Cliffe keeper for another corner.

Rob Forster continued to put his corners into dangerous areas and with better finishing the home team should have added to the scoreline.

James Howe and Callum O'Berg (5759990)
James Howe and Callum O'Berg (5759990)

The second goal of the game for the home side started with a move from inside the Uppingham half with Howe, Spencer and Forster all involved with some quick movement and passes.

The ball ended up with Thomas on the right hand side of the box who delivered an inviting ball into the area for Spencer to hit home with a first time finish from eight yards out – it was a quality goal from the home team after 25 minutes of the second half.

Uppingham continued to press forward and the next chance of the game fell to Josh Porter who struck a 25 yard free kick only to be denied again by the Kings Cliffe keeper who forced the ball behind for another corner.

Town’s third goal of the game came from the penalty spot after Callum O’Berg was fouled in the box and Howe hit the ball down the middle to give the home team a more respectable scoreline at 3-0.

From another move Porter powered into the box with 10 minutes left of the game only to be taken down for what was to be Uppingham’s second penalty of the game.

Howe again took the penalty only to see his shot hit the bar and bounce down before being cleared for a corner by the away team.

The hosts continued to control the remainder of the game to see them continue their winning run ahead of this weekend’s trip to play Moulton Reserves.

Town: Hubbard, Howe, O'Berg, Henshaw, Porter, Binley, Spencer, R Forster, Dumford, Thomas, Bains. Subs : J Forster, McKie.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More