An entertaining draw for the Daniels

Have your say

Stamford 2 Carlton Town 2

DANIELS fans witnessed an inconclusive outcome at the Vic Couzens Stadium for the ninth time this term on Tuesday although a point against play off aspirants Carlton wasn’t a bad return from an entertaining game.

Stamford’s only planned change from the weekend encounter with Romulus saw Ryan Oliver recalled in place of injured namesake Dean, but a pre-match ankle injury to Lee Beeson forced another change with Dan Cotton drafted into the starting 11.

After a quiet opening, Carlton had the first noteworthy attempt on goal after ten minutes when a rolled free kick was fired fiercely goalward by Terry Hawkridge, only to find Chris Wright perfectly placed to save.

Stamford replied with a quick counter attack, Nick Jackson’s well timed tackle winning possession with Cotton’s ball over the defence finding Oliver whose lob was too high. Jamie Clarke then headed wide from an inviting cross by Matt Evans.

Carlton took the lead with a fortuitous goal after twenty minutes. Lavell White’s pass found Hawkridge breaking on the left. Wright left his line to block the shot but it rebounded off the visiting player into the net.

The Daniels rallied with Miles Chamberlain heading over from a corner but they were level on the half hour with a stunning 25 yard strike from youngster Harry Deane his first goal for the club and a goal of the season contender in any company.

Wright was forced to react smartly to reach Andy Toyne’s underhit back pass before an opponent, but just before the break Toyne was involved in more positive action at the other end firing against the post.

Stamford were rocked in the dying seconds of the half as Josh Thornton unleashed another bullet from 30 yards although home players appealed unsuccessfully for a foul in the build up.

The Daniels didn’t deserve to be trailing and they were again on terms five minutes after the break, Deane coming up with a smart far post finish to convert Jackson’s cross from the left.

Peterborough United youngster Matthew Cook, signed on work experience on deadline day, replaced Evans at right back and his free kick found Chamberlain whose header was kept out by a reflex save from Danny Marshall in the Carlton goal.

Both sides went for the win in the closing stages with Massiah McDonald and Ashley Kitchen going close for the visitors and Marshall thwarting Toyne who timed his run perfectly to collect a Cotton pass.

Neither side was able to snatch a decider though and on balance a point apiece was about right.

Stamford: Wright, Evans (Cook 55), Jackson, Tiyne, Chamberlain, Parker, Cotton, Millson, R. Oliver. Clarke, Deane (Sedgemore 88). Subs not used: Burkett, Frecklington.

Attendance: 124.

Match Sponsor: Paul Johnson Property Consultants. Man of the Match: Deane.