Baston and Ryhall play out thrilling high-scoring battle

Baston FC Reserves v Ryhall United A. Match action. 'Photo: MSMP010214-029ow
Baston FC Reserves v Ryhall United A. Match action. 'Photo: MSMP010214-029ow
Have your say

Ryhall A were on the losing end of an enthralling 8-5 game with Baston Reserves in a match where two strong sides held nothing back.

Both sides brought in a couple of first teamers for fitness after the recent spike of postponements, with the result being a free-scoring game.

Baston controlled possession in the first half and led 4-1 at half-time .

The scoring was opened after only two minutes when an industrious run by Troy Waters brought a free kick deep in the Ryhall half.

Tim Palmer swung the ball in and Martin Holyoake duly nodded past the keeper.

The second came 15 minutes later when Troy Waters dispatched a penalty after Holyoake had been brought down.

Waters and Greg Rawlinson should have made it 3-0 prior to the second goal going in but were left wanting in front of goal.

Ryhall got back into the game when Paulo Tolomeo played the world onside and allowed the Ryhall front two to combine for Jonnie Harrison to slot past Aidan Finn in the Baston goal.

Dan Flood then had a chance cleared off the line for Baston, before Rawlinson made it 3-1.

Holyoake completed the first half scoring with a fine header over the keeper from a Rawlinson cross.

The second half saw Baston make several changes, lose discipline and become extremely complacent, which allowed Ryhall to grab four goals.

Baston scored goals through Greg Rawlinson, Craig Bullivant, Waters and Thompson, the pick of them being Troy Waters’ free kick from just inside the Ryhall half which beat the keeper and nestled into the net.

However, Ryhall looked good going forwards and gained one of their goals from a penalty conceded by Baston sub Jamie Barney.

Ryhall’s second half goals came from Ryan Brown, Stephen Downs, Jordan Wass and Jonnie Harrison, who notched his second.

The second half was a 4-4 draw.