Baston book quarter-final with gritty win over Coates

Baston in action earlier this season against Oundle Town
Baston in action earlier this season against Oundle Town
Have your say

Baston booked themselves a place in the quarter-finals of the ChromaSport and Trophies Intermediate Shield with a 2-1 win over Coates Athletic Reserves on Saturday.

Baston went into the game off the back of a solid win against Oundle Town, but knew this would be a tough physical battle as is always the case against Coates.

Baston started the better side and once again found themselves dominating the possession while playing some good football.

Chances were hard to come by in the first half with Coates soaking up the pressure well.

Tom Horton saw his shot slide wide of the post and Scott Collins and Matt Medler had half chances from distance.

Medler finally ended his scoring drought when he headed beyond the Coates keeper after a Troy Waters freekick bounced back off the keeper into Medler’s path on 35 minutes. That gave the Goats the 1-0 lead at half time.

In the second half Baston were slow to start and Coates should have been level but Rik Greene, the Coates forward, fluffed his lines and blazed over the bar from five yards.

Baston grew into the half and once again played some good football, albeit on the counter-attack as Coates searched for a way back into the game.

In the 58th minute, following a quick breakaway, Medler went through one-on-one but was brought down for a penalty as he went to shoot.

Up stepped Ciaran Reynolds to make amends for his miss last week to send Baston 2-0 up.

Almost immediately up the other end, James Ward pushed a Coates forward in the back, giving away a penalty. Dave Moore slotted it away to make it 2-1.

Baston held on for the victory and could have put the game beyond doubt with Garmory, Horton and Palmer having chances.

Palmer was particularly unlucky as the keeper saved with his hands a good five yards out of his area.

In the dying minutes, Coates had their chance to equalise, but Davies saved well down to his right and palmed the ball away to safety.

Baston march on to face Crowland in the quarter finals.

It was also a good day in the league for Baston as all of their rivals dropped points.

Stand-in manager Davies said after the game: “It was a solid performance against a physical Coates side.

“The ref wasn’t strong enough today and Coates could easily have found themselves down to 10 or even nine men.

“We move on to the next round and with a big few weeks ahead with this quarter and a semi final v AFC Stanground on March 15 to look forward to.”

Man of the match was Tom Palmer.