Baston players come to injured referee’s aid

Football stock image ENGPNL00120130409155842
Football stock image ENGPNL00120130409155842
Share this article
Have your say

Baston Reserves looked well on their way to victory against Silton United Reserves when the game was abandoned in dramatic circumstances in the closing stages.

Baston were 3-1 up in the PDFL Division Three when 72-year-old referee Peter Chappell was accidentally knocked unconscious.

Due to the dramatic change of direction from the ball the referee turned into a Baston player causing facial injuries and when going to the ground he severely hit his head causing him to lose consciousness for 10-15 seconds.

Players immediately reacted to the situation and the Baston management were there to react ensuring the referee got help from Shaun Dennis, Hannah Aarron and Darran Wesley.

All the players respected the severity of the situation and decided to make a mutual decision to call the game.

They now await confirmation from the league as to whether the result will stand.

Chappell, a referee for 39 years, has since thanked the clubs for their care of him and for notifying his family about the incident.

Before the medical drama there was plenty of action on the field.

In the first 10 minutes it was anyone’s game, with both teams pressing as soon as they had possession of the ball. Baston Reserves came close with opportunities from Tim Palmer and Will Harris.

Baston had almost continuous possession and in the 12th minute an opportunity was taken by Haydn Rice to give the Goats the lead.

Following the goal Baston looked to push the lead out even further with Steve Main acting like a tank holding onto the ball to give Baston that slight edge in attack.

But as the first half carried on Stilton made a number of changes before half time putting fresh legs on and this gave them a boost. Stilton looked threatening from corner set pieces with Matt Dodson clearing the ball off the line to keep Stilton at bay until the break.

Five minutes into the second half Baston conceded a freak goal. The Stilton United winger crossed the ball only for it to bounce on the near side of the six yard box and deflect off a Baston player into the goal.

However Baston were unperturbed and moved forward to try and get all three points to help their campaign. In the 60th minute the pressure worked as Michael Hasler tapped in a cross from Matt Dodson after keeping possession from the halfway line to the Stilton corner.

Baston kept on looking to push the lead and they did. In the 75th minute a free kick from Will Harris was received on the other end by Tim Palmer to hit the post and go in. However the game then came to an early end.