Blackstones secure semi-final spot

Share this article
Have your say

Sawtry Colts Blue U14 11 Blackstones U14 2

BLACKSTONES secured their place in the U14 League Cup semi-finals with a 2-1 victory at Sawtry.

Stones expected a tough match but went into it with a positive attitude and it was end-to-end football from the off.

After 15 minutes, Sawtry pressure paid off and after a miskick and several rebounds in the Stones area, Sawtry put the ball in the net.

But Blackstones’ heads never dropped and they kept pushing forward.

Sawtry’s goalkeeper kept Stones at bay until the 35th minute when Stones latched onto a loose pass, pushed forward into the Sawtry box and Mugnier flashed a shot into the back of the goal as the half time whistle blew.

Stones kept their shape and performance high as the extra-time and penalties loomed.

Only some fine saves from Stones keeper Bates kept Sawtry out, and with five minutes to go, a cracking strike from Ward found the top corner and now put Stones in the driving seat.

Blackstones saw the game out and manager Shaun Wallace said he was “delighted with the team’s performance and attitude”.

Harrowby U15 1

Ketton U15 1

THIS top-of-the-league clash lived up to expectations with third-placed Ketton holding unbeaten league leaders Harrowby United to a draw.

Ketton started slowly and Harrowby took the lead when a free kick was cruelly deflected into Ketton’s net. But this seemed to lift Ketton and they started to play some neat passing football.

The game was lively with good end-to-end football. Ketton soon got back into the game when the ball fell to Lewis Morley to slot home.

The second half was much the same with some good battles across the field.

With minutes to go, Harrison Miles found space and crossed to Scott Chamberlain who clipped it over the bar.

It was a good point for the Ketton lads against the top side.

Ketton face Rushcliffe in the Grantham Youth Shield semi-final on Sunday.

Ketton: M Sewell, J Taylor, J Weaver, J Cole, A Townsend, J Wright, T Sculthorpe, C Breakell, B Freeman, N Mainstone, G Winters, H Miles, S Chamberlain, L Morley.

Hungate Girls U14 6

Stamford Girls U14 4

A FINE performance wasn’t enough to prevent Stamford suffering a narrow defeat.

They had looked like being overrun early in the first half when they went 2-0 down but the girls grew in confidence and fought back.

A fine move was fininshed by Bailey who hammered in a pile driver to pull one back.

Henshaw then netted from close range to level the score but Stamford conceded just before half time to make it 3-2.

Bailey and Clarke added to Stamford’s tally in the second half but Stamford’s fine work was undone by a couple of refereeing decisions that could have gone either way.

Bailey scored the goal of the game, working a short corner and putting in a cross-shot from the touchline which looped over the keeper’s head to nestle in the top corner.

The final score was 6-4 with plenty of skillful football played by both teams.

Stamford: Ireland, Hyland, Tolo, Cotterill, Kaufman,Walpole, Bailey, Ferry, Henshaw, Clarke Player of the match: Hyland

Wyboston Girls U14 3

Stamford Girls U14 0

STAMFORD were marginally outplayed by a more physical team eventually losing 3-0.

After going a goal down before half time, they had hope going into the second half but failed to convert the few half chances that came their way.

Stamford upped their physicality in the second half but the more physical approach failed to pay dividends resulting in free kicks to Wyboston and a Stamford booking.

Two goals in quick succession saw off Stamford’s challenge. Another good performance, another defeat.

Stamford: Ireland, Hyland, Tolo, Cotterill, Kaufman,Walpole, Bailey, Ferry, Henshaw, Clarke Player of the match: Cotterill

Boston U9 2

Blackstones U9 5

REELING from two league defeats on the bounce, Stones impressed from the first whistle at Boston, winning 5-2.

The boys pressed the home side into their own half with great movement in midfield and excellent link up play, allowed Josh Theodore to get on the score sheet early on.

Impressive work from Sam Burke and Jamie Pumpr, in defence, allowed the boys to build on their passing and steadily take control.

Two more strikes from Theodore completed his hat-trick and an ever improving Rory Maclennan netted from the left hand side, following some neat footwork.

The twins Sol and Jai Walker, worked hard all over the park, helping Stones maintain control.

Kier Clarke showed safe hands in goal although Boston scored twice against the run of play, as Blackstones took their eye off the ball.

A fifth for Stones sealed an emphatic win.

Blackstones U9 2

Rippingale and Folkingham U9 0

Blackstones hosted Rippingale, on a incredibly cold Saturday morning and it was touch and go whether the referee would allow the game to take place.

Stones’ usual team positions were shuffled slightly from the side that beat Boston the previous week but the gamble paid off, as the boys took instant control of the game.

Rippingale gave away an unfortunate penalty seven minutes in and Josh Theodore stepped up and slotted home a sweet strike.

Theodore seemed to enjoy playing in midfield and he was on the score sheet again, soon after, following great link up play from defence, striking the ball cleanly from just inside the opposition’s box.

The cold played its part in the game as both managers lost players in the second half – the winter wind proving a little too chilly for some – but it was a great result for Stones, who still have one eye on the top spot.

Ketton U10 3

Navenby U10 1

IN an entertaining encounter at Pit Lane on Sunday, Ketton came out on top in a match that could easily have ended 6-4.

Ben Whittenbury had a fantastic debut scoring all three of Ketton’s goals – the first a solo run from the centre circle finishing with a low shot.

Ketton were 2-0 up at half-time having contained a number of sharp attacks from the fast Navenby front-line.

Ketton survived a difficult third quarter with Sam McAvoy making four one-on-one saves to deny Navenby.

Navenby scored in the final quarter to set up a nervous end to the game but those nerves were eased with Ketton’s third goal.

It was an excellent performance which extends Ketton’s winning run to eight games.

Long Bennington U11 3

Ryhall United U9 3

UNFORTUNATELY the match was not the thriller that the scoreline might suggest.

It turned out to be a scrappy midfield battle on a boggy pitch that made it hard for both teams to play passing football.

Ryhall went in front thanks to a good strike from Ryan Purkiss, who used his pace to take on the last defender, he then slotted the ball round the keeper, and into the corner of the net.

Bennington equalised and the game began to open up a little.

Cieron Walsham scored his first of the season after getting on the end of a cross but at 3-2 down Ryhall looked to have lost it, until a break down the right led to another good cross that was converted, to give Ryan his second goal of the game.

New signing Ryan Jibb put in a good performance but man of the match was Kieran Lock who won some good headers and put in some great tackles.

Ryhall: D Johnson, J Kelly, L Lee, K Robinson, T Fowler, J Clayton, H Brown, K Lock, C Walsham, R Jibb, J Moseley, R Purkiss, H Peasgood, R Thompson.

Deeping Rangers U14 6

Ketton U 14 1

(League Cup quarter-final)

DEEPING have finally found their shooting boots after a season full of missed chances and have now scored 13 goals in two cup games.

It was second division Ketton though, who took the lead after a defensive slip let in their striker to finish in the bottom corner from the edge of the box within five minutes.

Deeping responded well with a superb David Stevenette cross met by a fine header from Mitchel Headley to level and it became 2-1 to Deeping when a perfect through ball from Tom Palmer found Jordan Mayman who dispatched it into the bottom corner.

Deeping stepped up the pace after the break with some fine passing moves, especially down the left where Stevenette and Alex Lowe-Lauri combined brilliantly.

Palmer had a great game at the back, turning defence into attack with some elusive dribbles. It was one of these that led to the third goal when he fed Stevenette who crossed for Hedley to head his second.

A great move led to number four when Jake Brown robbed the Ketton midfield, drove forward and fed Jamie Sharpe. His perfect pass found Hedley who slotted home from 12 yards for his hat-trick.

Mayman got his second with a neat header from a Lowe-Lauri cross and Palmer then scored a richly deserved goal following Brown’s free kick.

Deeping: Alex Metcalfe, David Stevenette, Liam Reeve,, Tom Palmer, Ben Aspinall, Jordan Mayman, Jake Brown, Callum McDonough, Jamie Sharpe, Alex Lowe-Lauri, Mitchel Taylor Sub: Owen Skinner.

l RANGERS beat Retford 7-0 in the second round of the Lions Cup under floodlights at Outgang Road.

Deeping took the lead through Jamie Sharpe. An accurate Jordan Mayman corner bobbled about the area before Sharpe struck a fine volley.

Within five minutes, it was two following a smart short corner routine which led to Callum McDonough crossing for Ben Aspinall to bundle over the line.

Another corner led to the goal of the game with Aspinall smashing a brilliant volley into the top corner.

At the other end, Deeping’s defence of Reeve, Aspinall, Palmer and Lowe-Lauri swept away Retford attacks with calm assurance. Mitchell Taylor flew around the pitch, making life difficult for the Retford defence and his strike partner, Owen Skinner was also in fine form. It was Taylor who reaped the rewards with two neat finishes to make it 5-0 at half-time.

After the break they added two more to the tally. Skinner slipped a perfect early pass across to Jake Brown who made no mistake with the finish. Brown then added his second when he turned his defender and hit a fine shot into the roof of the net to complete a thoroughly deserved 7-0 victory.

Rangers: Alex Metcalfe, Liam Reeve, , Tom Palmer, Ben Aspinall, Alex Lowe-Lauri, Jordan Mayman, Jake Brown, Callum McDonough, Jamie Sharpe, Mitchel Taylor, Owen Skinner. Sub: David Stevenette.

Bourne Reds U12 1

Hungate U12 3

AFTER comprehensively beating the Reds 6-0 in the league a week earlier, Hungate were made to work much harder for this league cup quarter final win.

The Reds worked hard, closing Hungate down quickly while good front running by Rayment and Gibson gave the Hungate defence plenty to think about. But Bourne switched off for a second, allowing Higgs to head past James and early in the second half, Hungate pressure soon paid off with Harnwell scoring their second.

Bourne pulled a goal back following some superb football on the left with Maltby finding Login to score. With 10 minutes to go, slack marking allowed Higgs to secure victory for Hungate.

Reds boss Steve Bills said: “I am really proud of the lads. With it being their first season in Division 1, the boys have put in good performances against the league’s top sides.”

Bourne: James, Bowers, Roffe, Gibson, Bishell, Moore, Bills, Warren, Maltby, Login, Rayment, Milne, Everist, Wilkinson, Francis.