Both Bourne sides lose in the league

Bourne Town Reserves in action against Olney Town Reserves in the UCL Reserve Division. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090316001
Bourne Town Reserves in action against Olney Town Reserves in the UCL Reserve Division. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090316001
Share this article
Have your say

A fine finish by Buckingham Town hot-shot Drew Mitten sent Bourne Town home without anything to show for a battling display on Saturday as the Wakes went down 1-0.

Mitten has averaged a goal a game this season and returned from injury in style with the match-winner on 56 minutes - although Wakes boss Rafa Mazzarella felt his side deserved a point.

Mazzarella said: “We have recently been scoring goals but also conceding them.

“On Saturday we kept it tight but didn’t manage to score.

“I felt we were probably the better side in the second half and were unlucky not to get a point.”

Henry Dunn and Mark Walklin both saw headers go narrowly wide late in the game as the hosts held on for the points.

Bourne lost striker Scott Spearink with a knee injury that is likely to rule him out of Saturday’s trip to Potton so Dunn could be pushed up front.

Mazzarella added: “Henry is excellent everywhere he plays and will guarantee you at least a seven out of ten performance so he will probably play up front.”

Bourne were meant to be playing at Raunds Town on Tuesday but the game was postponed.

It was a typical top of the table clash between Bourne Town Reserves and Olney Town Reserves at the Abbey Lawn on Saturday.

With injuries hitting the Wakes youngsters Zak Munton, Ben Johnson and Johnjo Roberts made their league debuts.

The first 20 minutes were dominated by the visiting Olney team. But strong defending and good communicating by skipper Josh Mountain and joint manager Jonathan Ball.

With George Holliday stepping in at right back the Olney attack targeted the area. Despite great work a great cross came in after 26 minutes and was met with a bullet header to take the lead.

This was a wake-up call for the Wakes who became more confident passing the ball through midfield duo Burrell and Harley who were linking up well with Johnson and Munton on both wings.

Top scorer Jake Mason was causing problem after problem in the Olney defence which led to an equaliser from Ash Wilson. At half time at 1-1 it was anybody’s game

The second half was well played by the Wakes who passed and pressed the visitors throughout.

Williams, Munton and Mason all hit the woodwork and Bourne had two goals disallowed for offside.

A rare attack from the visiting team forced a foul and the resulting free kick was dispatched into the top corner leaving keeper Evans no chance.

The Wakes reserves again pressed hard but could not get the all important equaliser. Olney played the game out well to win 2-1 but the Wakes can be very pleased with their entertaining game and are looking forward to their next match away to Spencer.

TEAM: Evans. Holliday. Wallace. Mountain(C). Ball. Burrell. Williams. Munton. Johnson(Roberts). Wilson. Mason