Daniels and Blackstones victories lift both sides to third

Share this article
Have your say

THE Daniels came from two down to take all three points against Newcastle Town on Saturday.

Stamford were trailing at half time at the Premier Kitchens Arena thanks to goals from Greg Daniels and Leon Ashman.

But as a week earlier, when Stamford pulled back from 3-0 down to beat Coalville 5-4, they fought back in the second half.

David Staff, who part of a trio acting as an interim management team while Stamford seek a new boss, pulled one back early in the second half and then levelled with ten minutes remaining.

Lee Beeson then secured all three points with an 86th minute strike that lifts Stamford to third in the Evo-Stik League First Division South.

BLACKSTONES also moved to third, after their 4-3 victory at Kempstone Rovers in the United Counties League Premier Division.

Stones’ win was dramatic with two stoppage time goals breaking Kempstone and to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Danny Barker and Michael, from the penalty spot, scored early on the Stamford side were still trailing 3-2 as the clocked ticked past 90 minutes, But Barker added a second and substitute Ben Easson both scored late on.

Stones joint boss Darren Jarvis said: “It was a game we could have won comfortably. Yet we really had to do it the hard way.

“We were over the moon to get level in stoppage time, let alone hit a winner. But I have to say we did deserve all three points and we’re ever so proud to be third in the table.”

DEEPING Rangers endured a terrible afternoon at St IVes in Saturday, going down 6-0 in the UCL Premier Division.

The scoreline was the least of boss Tuncay Korkmaz’s worries after his already depleted squad was reduced to breaking point.

Rangers only trailed by a solitary goal until things turned sour. Defender Steve Julian was red-carded just before the break and goalkeeper James Doughty hobbled off with an ankle injury soon afterwards.

Full-back Nick Jackson had to take over in goal and Deeping ended up finishing with just nine men after Spencer Tinkler completed a catalogue of injuries.

“It was an absolute disaster,” said Korkmaz. “We only had nine fully fit players before the game but ended it with five.”

Ryan Birtles and Josh Moreman were also forced off while Kev Gilbert and Mark Jones managed to play through the pain barrier for the whole 90 minutes.

A late own goal from substitute Ryan Oliver added insult to Deeping’s injury problems.