Daniels raring to go for new season

Bourne Town v Stamford AFC. Nabil Shariff scoring. Photo: Geoff Atton EMN-140508-090710001
Bourne Town v Stamford AFC. Nabil Shariff scoring. Photo: Geoff Atton EMN-140508-090710001
Have your say

A rampant second-half performance saw Stamford AFC beat their near neighbours Bourne Town 8-2 on Saturday to win the Wilf Notley Cup.

Stamford’s Jordan Smith scored a hat-trick as the Daniels continued their good pre-season form.

Nabil Shariff and Ryan Robbins also scored braces and Jon Challinor got on the scoresheet to complete their fourth pre-season win after six matches.

Stamford play Coalville tomorrow at home in their final pre-season game before the league season kicks off at Workington the following weekend.

Stamford Town manager David Staff said: “It was a nice game against Bourne. There is a gulf in the leagues but they have got some decent players, but in the second half the fitness and the intensity which our players are used to playing at told and we scored a few goals.

“It’s another 90 minutes under the belt. We are optimistic about things. People are looking sharper and fitter, and they are making the right decision which is good to see.

“Everyone is raring to go.

“We have a balanced good squad and there is some camaraderie coming through, which is what you get when you bring in the right type of people.

“Hopefully they will help us kick on from where we were last season.”

UCL Division One side Bourne, who play three divisions below Evo-Stik Northern Premier side Stamford, went ahead early in the match.

Bourne were awarded a penalty after a foul from Jason Field and Jezz Goldson-Williams stepped up to score from the spot.

Stamford made it 1-1 on the half hour mark, Jordan Smith caused havoc down the wing to create an opening for Shariff to score.

The provider then turned scorer eight minutes later when he headed in a Matt Cotton corner.

Bourne would have been happy to go in just one down at half time but with just seconds left to play Robbins struck a free-kick through the Bourne wall to beat the keeper and make it 3-1 at the break.

After the break Robbins scored the fourth after winning a race to the ball, cleverly slipping the ball over Phil McGann in the Wakes’ goal.

Aaron Jesson pulled a goal back for Bourne in the 63rd minute when he tapped in from close range after capitalising on a defensive slip in a soaking wet goal mouth.

In the final half hour Stamford’s superior class began to show and the goals flowed in pairs.

In the 66th minute Shariff hit his second before Smith did the same a minute later.

The Wakes then conceded two more goals in a matter of seconds in the 76th minute , Chalinor hit the first before Smith completed his hat-trick moments later.