Daniels show their class in derby win

Stamford AFC v Blackstones.  Photo: John Evely EMN-140724-085603001
Stamford AFC v Blackstones. Photo: John Evely EMN-140724-085603001
Have your say

Stamford AFC hit derby rivals Blackstones for seven goals with no reply on Wednesday night but in truth it could have been a lot more.

From the second minute when the Daniels carved open Stones with relative ease, the gulf in experience and class was evident to see.

Stamford really should have finished in double figures, having hit the cross bar and post on at least three occasions in the first half.

Rangey striker Nabil Shariff got the first two goals for Stamford, the first from the penalty spot.

In the 15th minute Jason Field was foolishly hauled down by a Blackstones defender and Shariff made no mistake in planting the set-piece to the keeper’s left.

It took nearly half an hour for the second goal to come but it was worth the wait.

Some nice inter-play found Shariff free on the edge of the box and he had time to turn and pick his spot in the top corner to leave the goalkeeper stranded. Perhaps he may not have been given so much space in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier league but even Joe Hart would not have stopped that strike.

After the break, the difference in the two sides’ fitness really began to show and there were suddenly gaps all over the field.

Not to be outdone by his strike partner, Ryan Robbins scored two goals. The first a nice dip of his shoulder onto his left foot to smash in and the second a tap in after devastating work down the wing by Ryan Clarke.

The Daniels were now in a real purple patch and Alvin Jarvis notched the fifth goal from all of four yards after a powerful header was parried into his path by the Stones’ keeper.

Lewis Carr scored a powerful header from a perfectly placed corner in the 67th minute.

Blackstones only had two legitimate attacks during the match, one saw the back of the net ripple but the celebrations were cut short when it was realised the linesman was flagging for offside.

The final goal of the game came in the 84th minute. Matthew Cotton put the ball away with real class after new signing Ellis Myles showed great skill and persistence to beat a couple of players down the blindside and pull the ball back for Cotton.

It is hard to tell how good the Stamford performance was. At times they looked very sharp, passing the ball well and using their speed and power to cause real problems for the UCL Division One side.

Tomorrow’s away match at Conference4 Premier side Gateshead will be a huge step up and may give the answer.