Deeping devastated by Saints hot-shots

Have your say

St Neots 5

Deeping Rangers 2

DEEPING Rangers found the UCL’s top side St Neots in devastating form on Tuesday evening.

Rangers achieved what few sides have done this season – put two past St Neots – but had no answer at the other end where St Neots passed the century goal mark in their 25th league match of the eason.

The first half was goalless with the closest to a goal Lewis Hilliard’s volley striking the frame of the goal. But soon after the break, St Neots went ahead. James McDonough’s 48th minute own goal handed the home side the lead.

Kevin Gilbert replied for Rangers after 54 minutes, turning in a Kris Jones shot but 60 seconds later the Saints were back in front through Jordan Gent who converted a Stefan Moore cross.

Mark Jones scored a second equaliser for Deeping after Tim Trebes could only parry a Liam Harrold cross but St Neots had the answers.

They took the lead for a third time through Hilliard’s right foot shot after 63 minutes and two minutes later Lewis Webb brought up the Saints’ 100 tally for the season, riding two tackles before firing home.

Kevin Davies had the last word 20 minutes from time, converting Junior Kanudu’s through ball.

Deeping Boss Tuncay Korkmaz said: “We kept them at bay in the first half but to be honest we lost against a better side.

“We are disappointed. We managed to get back twice but it was always the case that they had too much up front.”

Korkmaz is struggling to find a settled back four and was unsure midweek who would start in defence tomorrow at Raunds Town but the Rangers boss still expects his side to be able to take all three points from the second-bottom side.

Deeping Rangers U18 1

St Ives U18 3

(Match abandoned)

THE match was abandoned after two players were hospitalised and another sent off.

A defensive error allowed the visitors to score, first following which they were soon reduced to 10 men.

Jack Cartwright was through on goal for Rangers, when he was hacked down by Michael Sheppard and the referee had no choice but to show the St Ives defender a red card.

With the advantage of an extra man Deeping were expected to take a stranglehold on the game, but events conspired against them.

First Sam Thompson limped off with a broken toe and then another defensive error allowed St Ives to score a second. Rangers pulled a goal back but the visitors scored a third before the game was ended.

With half hour remaining on the clock, Deeping’s Jack Davenport clashed heads and was knocked out in the St Ives goalmouth. Rangers’ physio Carol Holland initially feared that he had suffered a neck injury and it was decided not to move the player until the paramedics arrived.

Because of the injury sustained by Jack the Rangers players did not want to continue and in view of the time taken moving the player from the pitch, the referee decided to abandon the game.

Rangers: Chris Watkins, Sam Bush, Jacob McClarnon (Ryan Bird), Ben Leisner, Jack Davenport, Jonathan Landin, Callum Fox, Troy Waters, Sam Thompson (Pearce Westley), Jack Cartwright, Jacob Parkin. Subs not used: Joshua Christie, Pearce Westley, Thomas Skeath.