Deeping let lead three goal lead slip

Deeping Rangers striker Adam Scotcher runs away from Wellingborough Town's Jake Newman and towards the Doughboys' goal.  Photo by Tim Wilson.
Deeping Rangers striker Adam Scotcher runs away from Wellingborough Town's Jake Newman and towards the Doughboys' goal. Photo by Tim Wilson.
Have your say

A young Deeping Rangers side with just two substitutes on the bench let a 3-0 lead over Wellingborough Town in the UCL Premier Division slip on Saturday to draw 3-3 at the final whistle.

Despite the late collapse Rangers boss Tuncay Korkmasz chose to leave the Haydon Witham Stadium looking at the positives after competing the match with a reduced squad and having to start the game with two 18-year-olds, wingers Matthew Carter and former Peteroborugh United player Charlie Coulson.

The home side started well enough when, on eight minutes, Coulson was put through to finish coolly past Doughboys keeper Aaron Bellairs.

A minute later, former Blackstones striker Adam Scotcher was set up by Coulson, only to see his shot saved by Bellairs with his legs.

Missed chances were to cause Deeping’s demise, but not before Wellingborough had chances when a Jake Newman free kick went wide, Joe Rich crossed to Joe Bloomfield whose header missed the target and Alfie Taylor got free of Rangers’ defence, only to put his shot past the post.

Newman could have equalised on 23 minutes when his attempted lob was tipped onto the bar by Dan Bircham and the Deeping stopper was called into action again when, a minute later, Dan Spaughton shot straight at him from 25 yards.

Scotcher should have made the Doughboys pay on 30 minutes when a sharp counter-attack ended with him sliding a low shot wide.

It looked as if Deeping were struggling to find the finishing touch after their last two matches were postponed because of waterlogged pitches.

Jordan Avis added to the list of attackers who could have done better when he lobbed a Goldson-Williams lay-off over the Wellingborough bar before David Burton-Jones showed his team-mates how things should be done to make it 2-0, although his 20-yard free kick was helped in by a bad mistake from Bellairs.

Matt Carter nearly made it 3-0 when a curling effort was saved by Bellairs who was then booked on 38 minutes from bringing down Goldson-Williams.

That yellow card was to prove costly for the Doughboys later in the game, but not before Goldson-Williams made it 3-0 to Deeping on 50 minutes when he finished off a move started by Carter and Scotcher.

Even when Alfie Taylor got a goal back for the Doughboys on the hour mark, no one could have foreseen anything other than a Deeping win.

But two penalties in the final 15 mad minutes, both of them stuck away by Newman, left Korkmasz to ponder how his side didn’t win a game where Doughboys keeper was sent off after picking up a second yellow card for bringing down Goldson-Williams - again.