Deeping Rangers beat Spalding United 4-2

Have your say

DEEPING Rangers saw off Spalding United 4-2 in last night’s UCL Premier Division clash.

For much of the first half there was really only one team in the contest, that being the hosts, and as early as the third minute Mark Jones struck, after a goalmouth scramble, to give Rangers the lead.

Spalding’s defence, with the much experienced Glen Fuff at the heart of it, found themselves constantly stretched by the Rangers forwards. But Deeping’s old problem came back to haunt them as chance after chance went begging.

Moreman should have made it 2-0 on 15 minutes, but missed when it looked easier to score, and the same player had a long range free kick palmed over the bar by Conroy on nineteen minutes.

However, on 22 minutes, with his team mates making strong appeals for a penalty kick, Moreman gathered the ball and slotted home the goal that Deeping’s enterprise deserved.

Rangers were, at times, playing some lovely football and further chances came along before half time to increase the score. Mark Jones shaving a goalpost from distance and Matt Heron lobbing both keeper and bar, when it was just the former who he had to beat. In truth, when the interval came, Spalding could think themselves lucky not to be four or five down.

James Lowndes, in the Rangers goal, had his first shot to save in the fortieth minute.

The early stages after the resumption produced much of the same, but when Smith headed a reply for Spalding on the hour mark, Rangers began to look a little frail. But still Deeping continued to create clear cut chances.

Both Heron and substitute Jackson, on for Battersby, had golden opportunities to get the third, but they had to wait until the seventy fifth minute, when Moreman was upended in the penalty area, before the goal came. Moreman himself took the spot kick to make the score 3-1.

Spalding defied the odds and took a huge slice of luck to score a second goal in the seventy ninth minute, when a free kick from outside the penalty area took a wicked deflection which left Lowndes rooted to the spot.

But Rangers were not to be denied, JP Duncliffe, the Spalding defender, bringing Moreman down for a second Deeping penalty on eighty five minutes.

Duncliffe’s reward was the only yellow card of the game, whilst Josh Moreman went on to complete his hat trick from the spot.