Draw delights Stones after a strong showing

Photo: SM081011-017ow.jpg'Blackstones v Wellingborough. Match action.
Photo: SM081011-017ow.jpg'Blackstones v Wellingborough. Match action.
Have your say

Spalding 1 Blackstones 1

Blackstones 2 Wellingborough 2

BLACKSTONES came away from Spalding delighted with a draw but feeling they were the stronger side as the game ended.

A late leveller gave Blackstones a share of the spoils at the Halley Stewart Field.

Greg Smith’s 11th goal of the season, set up by Simon Mowbray after 29 minutes, gave Spalding a first half lead and Ryan O’Laughlin clipped the bar as the Tulips forced the pace.

But Stones came back into the game after the interval and Michael Nelson earned the visitors a point after 81 minutes, punishing a Glen Fuff mistake with a well taken finish.

Stones’ joint boss Darren Jarvis said: “We rate that as a very good point. We have taken four points from Spalding who have a budget four times ours.”

After a disappointing run which included two cup exits and defeats to Newport Pagnell and King’s Lynn, Jarvis was pleased to see Stones return to form.

Blackstones also held Wellingborough to a draw at Lincoln Road on Saturday.

Goals from substitute Nelson and centre-back Matt Porter inside the final 10 minutes ensured they shared the spoils.

Porter’s high-class bullet header arrived after Stones had been reduced to 10 men. Robbie Pearce had been forced off with concussion with all three substitutes already on the pitch.

Deeping Rangers 5 Northampton Spencer 0

Peterborough Northern Star 3 Deeping Rangers 2

DEEPING Rangers beat Northampton Spencer 5-0 to return to winning ways on Saturday, but couldn’t follow that up against 10-man Peterborough Northern Star on Tuesday evening.

It took Rangers 43 minutes to find the net on Saturday, with David Burton-Jones playing in Mark Jones to break the deadlock. But in the second half, Deeping stamped their superiority on the match.

Josh Moreman curled a shot around Quincy Showumnu two minutes after the restart and Jones scored his second just past the hour mark.

Deeping made it four in the 73rd minute when substitute Tony Battersby rolled a rebound into the gaping goal and 12 minutes from time, Jones completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after he had been brought down in the area.

On Tuesday, Rangers failed to beat the league leaders despite Star’s goalkeeper Luke McShane being sent off for handling the ball outside his box early in first half.

Star were already a goal ahead but being a man down didn’t seem to hinder them as Deeping struggled to make their man advantage count.

The opening goal had an element of fortune as Luke Hipwell’s shot came back off the post only to go back in off Rangers keeper James Doughty and seven minutes before the break Star doubled their advantage. Jon Stead’s deep corner found Richard Jones running in unchallenged to head home.

A bizarre goal gave Star a three-goal cushion on the hour. Doughty attempted to kick clear under pressure from Avellino Vieira but the ball rebounded back into play off the corner flag and Vieira cut inside to fire home.

Two late goals provided some consolation for Deeping. A weaving run and confident finish by Matt Heron after 87 minutes put Rangers on the board and George Cox netted a second a minute into added time.Deeping (v Spencer): J Doughty, M Evans, A Fenton, S Tinkler, S Julian (K Jones), K Gilbert, M Jones, D Burton-Jones, R Oliver (T Battersby), M Heron, J Moreman (G Cox). Deeping (v Star): James Doughty, Matt Evans (Nick Jackson), Adam Fenton, Kris Jones (Tony Battersby), Spencer Tinkler, Kev Gilbert, Mark Jones, David Burton-Jones (George Cox), Ryan Oliver, Matt Heron, Josh Moreman.