FOOTBALL: Deeping’s unbeaten run is ended

Have your say

Deeping Rangers 1 - 3 Holbeach United

DEEPING Rangers’ unbeaten start to their league campaign came to an end with a 3-1 defeat to Holbeach United at Outgang Road yesterday evening.

The two sides had each won four on the trot prior to the match with only two points dropped between the sides all season - Rangers’ draw with Quorn.

Holbeach were clearly stung by their cup defeat to Stamford three days earlier, and in a pulsating start to the game dominated the early exchanges, taking the lead after 10 minutes. Flack turning the ball in from close range and just three minutes later, the lead was doubled when Allen netted after a defensive mix up.

As the game began to settle Rangers came into it more, Alex Beck almost getting his name on the score sheet after just failing to convert from a corner.

Beck was Rangers’ only change to their starting 11 from Saturday’s 2-1 home win against Desborough, replacing Kevin Brader. There was still no return for the injured Nick Jackson, who was concussed by the ball at Northern Star last Tuesday.

Deeping pulled a goal from a corner back on 20 minutes. As the ball descended into a crowded goal area, David Burton-Jones got to it first and managed to plant the ball in the roof of the net.

But the visitors continued to threaten and after half an hour, Robbie Harris really should have scored a third Holbeach goal, shooting wide of an open goal after receiving the ball from a free kick.

The game was turning into a feisty local derby, with Mitch Griffiths returning to haunt his former club after 40 minutes. Griffiths found enough room on the right wing to deliver a cross for Robbie Harris to add to Rangers’ woes.

Just before half time James Doughty produced a breath-taking save, at full stretch, to deny the visitors fourth.

Rangers boss Tuncay Korkmaz made two changes at half time, bringing Matt Heron on for Simon Ashton, and Brader on for Beck, and both players had an immediate impact. Rangers enjoyed far more of the play, creating good half chances in the process.

However, the frustration was to continue for the home side. Michael Byrne put a weak shot past Overton’s goal when a second goal looked to be on the cards for the home side.

The nearest that Deeping got to a second goal after this was when Heron toe-poked an effort from the edge of the six yard box that Overton managed to push wide of his post.

The final play of the cards for Deeping was to replace the tiring Byrne with Hands for the final 10 minutes.

Lewis squandered a chance for the fourth Holbeach goal right at the end, whacking the ball into the night above an open goal from a cross field Griffiths pass.

It was a disapointing night for the home side, but they played well in the second half and had luck been on their side may have taken something from the game.

Deeping Rangers: Doughty, Lambley, Tinkler, Logan, Julian, Ashton (Heron), Deane, Burton-Jones, Byrne (Hands), Holt, Beck (Brader). Subs not used: Waumsley, Ihana.

Deeping man-of-the-match: David Burton-Jones.