FOOTBALL: McDonald hat-trick fires Oakham to safety

Eddie McDonald, pictured playing for Oakham against Alconbury earlier this season, scored a hat-trick in the return fixture on Tuesday evening''Photo:SM310312-034ow
Eddie McDonald, pictured playing for Oakham against Alconbury earlier this season, scored a hat-trick in the return fixture on Tuesday evening''Photo:SM310312-034ow
Have your say

Peterborough and District League

A HAT-TRICK from Eddie McDonald helped fire Oakham United to victory at Alconbury on Tuesday.

United’s 5-2 win, barring a series of freak results, guarantees Oakham’s place in the top flight next season.

Joint boss Andy Saddington said: “I think we’re safe now. That was the main objective from this match but we could have scored more goals.”

Oakham were four ahead at the break thanks to McDonald’s first two and goals from Stu Lambie and Will Lee.

McDonald completed his hat-trick before Oakham took their foot off the gas and allowed Alconbury to pull two back.

Lee had the ball in the net on four more occasions but had two disallowed for fouls and two for offside.

On Saturday, Oakham were held to a 2-2 draw by title-chasing Eye Sports in the final match at Catmose College this season.

The visitors were aiming to go second in the table but Oakham’s joint boss Andy Saddington reckons his side could have done better than the 2-2 draw scoreline suggests.

Oakham were leading 2-0 with 20 minutes to go through goals from Tom Caldicott and Eddie McDonald and the Oakham boss said: “We were a bit unlucky not to get all three points.

“They got a good goal back with 20 minutes to go and then we defended a little too deep, and they levelled. It was just a little bit of naivety in the end.”

Caldicott had put Oakham ahead, surging between Eye’s centre halves to flick the ball over the keeper midway through the first half.

Ten minutes after the break McDonald extended United’s lead, heading home at a corner. l Deeping Rangers Reserves beat Coates Athletic 3-0 in the Peterborough and District’s Premier Division.

Midfielder Dan Ireland scored for the third game on the trot with Ian Bradbury and Anthony Graves also finding the net.

l UPPINGHAM picked up a point with a 1-1 draw at Ramsey but results elsewhere have not helped as they battle to avoid the drop from the Premier Division.

Dave Laughton put Uppingham ahead with a well-taken goal but the hosts levelled late on as Uppingham began to tire.

Town boss Richard Kendrick said: “Ramsey are the best side we have played all season so a draw was a good point.”

Parson Drove’s win at Peterborough Sports has made Uppingham’s task more difficult with four games remaining.

Kendrick added: “We have drawn with a lot of the top teams. We seem more motivated for the top sides.

“Now we need to win all our remaining games.”

l AT the healthy end of the table, King’s Cliffe won at Parson Drove despite only having 10 players available on Saturday morning.

After a few calls, they managed to make it over to Fenland with 12 men, and they returned in possession of three points, coming from behind to win 2-1 courtesy of goals from substitute Tom Lees and Stu Addinall.

l OUNDLE boss Barry Gregory reckons his team were the victim of a robbery on Saturday.

They went down 4-3 to Netherton at Station Road after conceding twice in the final five minutes.

Gregory said: “It was the best we have played for weeks and we deserved to win the game.

“Netherton scored their leveller from a free-kick that should never have been given.”

Two goals from Darren Paling and a Conor Murphy effort had given Oundle the edge but Netherton roared back late on thanks to a couple of headed goals. Ian Coupe equalised before Scott Quinney grabbed the winner.

l In the first division, Stamford Bels picked up three vital points, beating bottom side Warboys 3-0 at home on Saturday.

Jamie Keegan, Matthew Davies and Sean Edwards scored to lift Bels out of the bottom two places in the Peterborough & District League first division.

Mid-table Ketton did Bels no favours, losing 3-1 at struggling FC Inter. William Bird scored Ketton’s lone strike.

Bels were due to play Ketton on Wednesday evening but the game was called off.

l KETTON were beaten 3-1 away to FC Inter on Saturday with Will Bird scoring Ketton’s only goal, and Ryhall won 2-0 at home to Gedney Hill in division two.

l Langtoft United held onto third spot with a 2-1 victory at Holbeach Reserves.

Modesto Santaniello and Phil Gadsby scored for Langtoft, who have played more games than the chasing pack behind them.

l RYHALL United kept their promotion hopes alive with a 2-0 win against Gedney Hill on Saturday.

Ryhall controlled the game with some excellent play but failed to take advantage of several good chances until Ricky Pozella finally broke the deadlock with a fierce close range shot 10 minutes before half time.

Stuart Moss volleyed home a corner midway through the second half to secure all three points for Ryhall.

l DEEPING Rangers’ A team beat Division Three champions Langtoft United Reserves 2-1 thanks to goals from Matthew Duffy and Max Webb.

Jack Langton was on target for Langtoft, who cannot be caught at the top despite falling to their first defeat of the season.