Key quartet missing for return to action

Keith Gray in action for Bourne Town FC v Deeping Rangers
Keith Gray in action for Bourne Town FC v Deeping Rangers
Have your say

BOURNE will be missing four key players for their trip to Rushden and Higham United tomorrow, yet boss Darren Munton says his side are raring to go after a lengthy spell with no matches.

Last weekend’s UCL First Division fixture at Northampton Sileby Rangers was called off with the host team blaming a burst water pipe.

Bourne haven’t played a game since a goalless draw at Potton United on November 20 because of snow and ice but finally got back to regular training this week.

“The lads looked good in training and hopefully we can put a little together, starting on Saturday,” said the Wakes boss, who admitted that the cancellation of the New Year’s Day game suited his side who had goalkepeer Dan Jarman missing.

“It suited us as we were short of players,” said Munton, who is set to lose Dan Mason throughout January and has Keith Gray, Jimmy McDonnell and Nick Buff among tomorrow’s absentees.

Tom Dunn, who broke into the Bourne side this season, has also told Munton that he has quit football to the surprise of the Wakes boss.

Munton said: “He says he needs a break which is a big loss to us. He’s a good player with plenty of pace and had done well for us.

“It was good to have a blow out in training. You can tell players to go and have a run to keep fit but it’s not the same as training on the ball.

“Rushden and Higham played in the week and got beaten 5-2 so they will be smarting from that.”

Down the A15 at Market Deeping, Deeping Rangers took on Sleaford Town in the UCL Premier Division and were made to pay for missed chances.

Rangers dominated the first half but found themselves 2-0 down at the break. They created enough chances to be in front, and although the Sleaford keeper was kept busy, he was never really tested.

Early in the game Liam Harrold beat the offside trap and left the home defenders chasing shadows but somehow he managed to slip on the wet playing surface with only the keeper to beat.

New signing Kevin Gilbert caused problems for the Sleaford defence whipping the ball in from the wing but poor finishing let Deeping down.

Sleaford’s top scorer Jamie Shaw gave his side the lead following a mix up in the Rangers defence, and former Ranger’ player Ben Brown doubled the lead before half-time.

Another former Rangers’ player, Jamie McCormack, extended the home side’s advantage after the break, before Gilbert claimed his first goal in claret and blue to give the visitors some hope.

Four minutes later the game was over as a competition when Jamie Shaw rounded the Deeping keeper to score into an open net.

There was a consolation goal for Harrold, who chipped the Sleaford keeper for Rangers’ second but it was not enough to salvage a point in a disappointing game for Rangers.

Deeping Rangers: Hodges, Smithingale, Lomas (Leisner), Jones, Korkmaz, Heron, Gilbert, Stevenson, Weston, Harrold, French.