Late Daniels goals sink Stones

Have your say

Stamford U10 5

Blackstones U10 3

THIS captivating derby was a tense, evenly contested match with Stamford recovering from 2-0 down to snatch victory late on.

Sam Jordan hit four and Dan Kettleborough one goal to bring Stamford back from the brink after a tenacious first half display from Stones who must regret some missed chances.

Blackstones forced the early play with excellent movement and they looked the more likely winners with Ethan Ellison proving a constant threat with strong running and two great shots saved by James Tyers.

Samuel Burke linked well for Blackstones helping to keep Stamford on the back foot while Ben Browne had a good effort saved on the line by the Stones keeper.

Luke Toomey, Eddie Wurr and Jack Darby managed to keep Stones at bay while Ethan Burgess made some threatening runs at their defence.

Stones took a deserved lead after fluent interplay led to Josh Theodore firing in the opener.

Kettleborough and Darby had fine efforts before Stones extended their lead with another good finish from Theodore.

Stamford reduced the arrears when Darby cleverly sent Kettleborough down the right and his perfect cross found Jordan on the penalty spot to score with a thumping header.

The young Daniels levelled when Burgess’ shot rebounded off the keeper for Jordan to pounce and smash in from close range.

Stamford took the lead when Kettleborough cut inside and looped a cross shot past the keeper. Keeper Tyers then made an outstanding save but Rory McLennan tapped in to equalise from the resultant corner.

Stones almost took the lead when a brilliant header bounced off the top of the Stamford bar and a draw looked on the cards. But Burgess, Kettleborough and Darby combined to find Jordan running into space to score his hat-trick.

Jordan made the result safe, scoring from an angle in the final minute.

Stamford U11 2 King’s Cliffe 1

STAMFORD kicked off against a strong wind and a hard-working King’s Cliffe side attacked for most of the first half.

But Stamford rallied with Adam Jordan having a good effort saved before Stamford took the lead through a deflected Oscar Davey shot.

King’s Cliffe quickly hit back with a well taken equaliser before the break.

Stamford took more control with the wind behind them in the second half with Jordan, Ryan Sharp, Will Leech and Callum Truscott making inroads. Stamford could have scored on several occasions before Leech and Truscott combined to find Jordan inside the box and he cleverly lobbed the keeper for 2-1.

Ketton U16 3 Wisbech U16 1

KETTON struggled in difficult conditions to play their usual passing football during the first half.

Wisbech came out in the second half with the wind with them and took advantage when they scored a free kick from just outside the box.

This seemed to lift Ketton who responded with good work from Harrison Miles to find Nick Mainstone who slotted home the equaliser.

Ketton took the lead when a free kick from Nathan Wilson found Mainstone who headed his second.

Moments later Lewis Morley found Mainstone, who completed his hat-trick with a screamer from the edge of the box.

Ketton: G Winters, J Cole, J Weaver, J Wright, T Sculthorpe, C Breakell, H Miles, A Townsend. N Mainstone, K Sloacham, B Freeman, L Morley, N Wilson, M Sewell, S Chamberlain. M-o-M: Mainstone

Bourne U9 Blues 0 Deeping U9 1

BOURNE entertained Deeping in a repeat of a cup tie between the two sides which Bourne lost by three goals a fortnight ago and, although this game was settled by a single goal, it was Deeping again who emerged victororious.

Deeping started well and a goal line clearance from Alex Pimblett prevented an early setback for Bourne.

Bourne rallied and forced a number of corners but their cautious approach failed to beat Deeping’s massed defence.

Midway through the first half William Hawkins, who scored a hat-trick in the cup match, was once again Bourne’s nemesis, crashing home what transpired to be the match winner.

After the break Deeping played the better football and Tom Spinney had to make several timely interceptions.

With the aid of the strong wind Bourne had chances from long clearances and at the final whistle Bourne were pressing with everyone in the Deeping box for a corner but they were unable to end their three match goal drought.

Bourne (inc subs): Kyle Evans, Ethan Hunt, Finn McCullogh, Tom Middleton, Alex Pimblett, George Purdy, Joseph Revill, Dylan Snoek, Tom Spinley, Dylan Taylor, Lewis Thorley.

Deeping: Ben Asplin, Alessandro Pizzo; Oliver Lord; Luke Phillips; Connor Gosnell; Max Meli; William Hawkins.

Ryhall Utd U12 8 Thurlby Tigers 0

AN improved team performance ensured Ryhall’s young squad stayed joint top of division 3.

Kieran Lock and Jake Moseley were fantastic in defence, while stand-in keeper Tom Smith made some great saves to keep another clean sheet. Joshua Clayton, Ryan Jibb and Alex Eddisford were the play-makers in a team that was re-shuffled due to injuries.

Goals came from Harry Peasgood, with a hat-trick, Liam Horton and Jacques Marechal, who both bagged a brace, and Ryan Purkiss. Pick of the goals was a Marechal free kick, curled into the top corner from just outside the box.

Ryhall: T Smith, T Fowler, K Lock, K Robinson, C Sturridge, J Moseley, A Eddisford, H Brown, J Clayton, R Purkiss, J Marechal, L Horton, R Thompson, H Peasgood, R Jibb.

Wisbech St Mary U11 6 Blackstones U11 1

BLACKSTONES conceded a late flurry of goals to end up with a result that didn’t really reflect the game.

Stones started well, playing with the confidence after the previous week’s victory against Crowland, but they conceded the first goal, against the run of play when a speculative lob caught out an unlucky Michael Reho in goal.

It was a real blow to the Blackstones boys and Wisbech took control of the game. By half-time, they had Stones trailing 3-0.

Blackstones scored almost immediately after the break through substitute Vance Holland. He nearly added a second after some great work from Jack Naylor but his effort dropped agonisingly beyond the crossbar.

Wisbech broke forward and scored their fourth to seal the result. They went on to score twice more before the finish which was harsh on the Stones players but it did allow the Wisbech number 10 to complete an excellent hat-trick.

Blackstones: Michael Reho, Jake Horsfall, Oliver Troth, Max Siggs, Sam Harvey, Fin Brown, Peter Kingsley, Jack Naylor, Vance Holland, Ewan Clipston, Elliot Mbanu.

Blackstones U11 5 Crowland 1

AFTER several good performances with very little reward, Blackstones got their just desserts for a tremendous display.

They were hungry right from the whistle and Crowland struggled as they launched wave after wave of attacks. On the rare occasion that Crowland did threaten to get through, they were stopped in their tracks by the excellent defensive trio of Dylan Ferguson, Sam Harvey and Max Siggs.

It was a Siggs intervention that created the first goal. He won the ball and pushed it down the left to Fin Brown who outpaced the Crowland defence and rifled home from about 15 metres out.

Within five minutes Brown had his second thanks to good work from the industrious Olly Troth.

Crowland pulled a goal back just before half-time but that proved the end of their revival.

Blackstones continued in the same vein and quickly restored their two goal cushion in the second half. Troth scored a deserved goal and as Crowland tired Holland added a fourth goal and Brown completed his hat-trick.

Blackstones were superb with every player playing a big part in an impressive showing.

Blackstones: M Reho, J Horsfall, O Troth, M Siggs, S Harvey, F Brown, D Ferguson, P Kingsley, J Naylor, A Hibbitt, V Holland, B Gare.

Netherton U15 5 Ketton U15 2

KETTON failed to build on last weekend’s fantastic result in the Peterborough Youth League Division One, losing 5-2 to Netherton Hawks.

They were undone with a goal either side of half-time, after a very even first third of the match.

The home side adapted better to the windy conditions and after Ketton had spurned several good early openings took a 3-0 lead.

Ketton got into the game with a fine finish from Dan Carr but a couple of softly conceded goals put the game beyond Ketton.

Netherton’s goalkeeper made numerous, fine saves but couldn’t stop Tom Mann’s late consolation – a wicked 25-yard free kick.

Ketton: Jack Parker, Rory Gibson, Louis Bowden, Reece Chandler, Ben Musson, Tom Mann, Alex Birch, Scott Toomey, Rudi Jurkschat, Dan Carr, Joe Morley,Charlie Skellett, Jacob Howe.

Stamford U8 7 Crowland U8 0

A CONFIDENT Stamford beat Crowland 7-0 at home on Saturday.

Charley Darby gave Stamford an early lead with a powerful free-kick which took a deflection on its way in. Charlie Willis grabbed a second when he raced through to slot past the keeper to make it 2–0 at half time.

The second half became a rout with five Stamford goals. Darby scored the first of those with a great angled finish into the top corner.

William Watterson’s long range effort then deceived the goalkeeper to make it four and Caleb Young made it five with a calm finish after being put through by Ethan Young.

Young rounded off the scoring, first with a good individual effort and then with a powerfully struck free kick for his second.

Stamford: Freddie Hibbitt, Rhys Holmes, William Watterson, Charley Darby, Charlie Willis, Ollie Edwards, Matt Betts, Ethan Young, Caleb Young.

Stamford Girls U15 10

Terrington Tigers 2

STAMFORD’S U15 girls recorded their greatest-ever victory on Saturday.

An overjoyed crowd watched as the girls’ team – virtually unchanged since its original line-up – fired home goal after goal. Sadly, their dedicated, long-time coach, Phil Bailey, was prevented from attending the match and denied the pleasure of witnessing the historic event.

Stamford got off to a flyer with Worthington weaving through the Terrington defence to score after just 40 seconds.

Five minutes later Terrington equalised but Stamford upped their game and soon Clarke had restored their lead.

This was followed by goals from Henshaw, Bailey and Worthington again before Terrington bagged their second for a 5-2 half-time scoreline.

Worthington crossed for Ward to score after the break and Smith made it seven from close range.

Ward then scored her second from 20 yards out and just moments later completed her hat-trick.

With two minutes to go, Stamford were treated to their first-ever double-figures victory when Henshaw scored number ten.

Stamford: Bailey, Walpole, Ireland, Clarke, Kaufman, Hyland, Cotterill, Henshaw, Smith, Ward, Haywood, Worthington, Want. P-o-M: Cotterill.

Soccer Schools

ONE Touch Football Soccer School will run children’s football courses in Stamford (December 19 and 20) and Market Deeping (December 20 and 21) during the Christmas holidays.

The courses will cater for boys and girls from four to 12 years old, from beginners through to more experienced players. Sessions will take place indoors or outdoors depending upon the weather.

For details visit