Late strikes secure victory for Stones

Addie Staffieri on the ball for Blackstones Photo: MSMP020213-035ow
Addie Staffieri on the ball for Blackstones Photo: MSMP020213-035ow
Have your say

Two late goals from Addie Staffieri sealed three points for Blackstones against basement side Irchester United at Lincoln Road on Saturday afternoon.

Blackstones had taken the lead with new signing Chris Down on target midway through the first half but the Stamford side struggled to build on that against a team that have won only once all season.

The visitors levelled with 20 minute remaining when Stones failed to clear a free kick that had initially been blocked by their wall. Martin Mitchell picked up the lose ball to fire home from just inside the box.

However the equaliser appeared to spark Stones into life and six minutes later Staffieri had scored the first of his brace, heading home a cross at the far post.

Just minutes later, Staffieri number nine doubled their lead with a tidy finish. Staffieri still had work to do when he collected the ball but he beat his marker and calmly rounded the keeper before finishing.

Stones’ number nine could easily had added to his tally in the final minutes, firing high when one-on-one with the keeper and then laying the ball off when the better option may have been to take the shot himself.

Stones supremo Dave Stratton felt his side were subdued after a stirling midweek performance at Royston in the Hinchingbrooke Cup when they lost 4-3 in extra time.

He said: “I was a bit disappointed. The pitch was tough on Tuesday and I think it showed with one or two players today.

“Overall we were the better team and their keeper pulled off a couple of good saves but at the same time the tempo was never there. I will be expecting better.”

Blackstones: Lee Crockett, Ben Easson, Ben Porter, Andy Boome, Marcus Baines, Chris Down, Michael Nelson, Addie Staffieri, Andy Beech, Sam Mancuso. Subs: Jake Van Der Drift, Sam Strange, James Curran, Herold Doncerelle.