Bourne Town await decision on relegation from UCL

Bourne Town v Harrowby United. Photo: EMN-140424-095323001
Bourne Town v Harrowby United. Photo: EMN-140424-095323001
Have your say

Loyal Bourne Town stalwart Darren Munton took charge of the team for what was likely to be the last time at Abbey Lawn on Saturday.

The popular manager, who resigned earlier in the season but was persuaded to return until the end of the campaign, posed with the players for this souvenir photograph before the game against Harrowby United.

Earlier, the respected club official, who was a prolific centre forward for the club in the 1990s, presented the fans’ player of the year award to Aaron Bellairs, the club’s talented goalkeeper.

But the celebrations ended there as the Wakes suffered a 3-0 defeat to their Grantham-based UCL Division One opponents, a result which, allied to others around them, means they will finish second from bottom in the league.

Although Bourne technically have to be re-elected to the league, it appears unlikely that any team will be relegated from the UCL and if any is, it would probably be Woodford who have only earned three points this season.

Against Harrowby, Bellairs was soon in action when he did well to keep out a low drive from the edge of the area and on ten minutes the goalkeeper saved a Bobby Lee shot with his legs.

Bourne’s first chance arrived after 13 minutes when a long ball was met with a shot from Seb Hood which was comfortably saved by Arrow’s keeper Jack Drury.

Harrowby took the lead after 22 minutes when Bobby Lee stepped up to curl home a free kick on the right from 25 yards.

On 32 minutes Harrowby doubled their lead when a fine through ball from Sam Weatherstone found Shaw in space on the left and he played the ball inside to Webb who fired home from the edge of the area.

Six minutes from the break, Weatherstone again made Bellairs work in the Bourne goal with a scooped shot that the big keeper did well to palm away at full stretch.

The Wakes had the ball in the net on the stroke of half time after a scramble following a cross from the right, but the effort was ruled offside.

The second half was a more low key affair with both teams failing to stamp their authority on the game.

Then three-quarters of the way through the game, Harrowby keeper Jack Drury performed heroics of his own to pull off arguably the save of the game with a full-length dive to deny substitute George Holliday’s low shot across 
the goal.

Harrowby made it three after 73 minutes when Webb whipped a free kick into the penalty area and Shaw smashed the ball past a helpless Bellairs.