Clark to remain at the Daniels helm

Share this article
Have your say

DANIELS chairman Ken Joynson has confirmed Simon Clark will remain as Stamford boss despite a disappointing season.

He said: “The manager is staying. He’s not had a good season, we are going to support him and the assistant manager for next season.

“If we can keep the players we have got with one or two extra players, we still have got a good side next year.”

Barwell 2 Stamford 1

LAST season, Stamford finished their campaign at the league champions and had to watch Mickelover Sports presented with the trophy. History repeated itself as they finished this season at Barwell on Monday.

Despite the poor season for the Daniels, a surprisingly large number of supporters made the trip to Barwell where both Olivers missed the game with injury forcing Dan Cotton and Harry Deane to play up front. Ben Sedgemore was on paternity leave.

Stamford started brightly but the first chance went to Barwell after five minutes when a poor clearance went straight to Francino Francis.

Three minutes later it looked as if Stamford would take the lead after a good run by Dan Cotton but his first shot was blocked and his second was deflected over over.

Jake Walton fired a shot from outside the box straight at Barwell keeper Liam Castle and for a while Stamford were on top. Castle got fingertips to a cross from Deane but when the ball fell at the feet of Burkett but he delayed his shot and was closed down.

Just after the half hour, and against the balance of play, Barwell took the lead and again it was a Stamford error which led to the goal. Luke Barlone intercepted an underhit Stamford pass and rounded right to score.

Two minutes later it should have been 2-0 when another long ball went to Jamie Towers but with just Chris Wright to beat his shot cleared the bar.

The half time did not reflect the balance of play but Barwell had looked dangerous with quick breaks and Stamford had not been threatening enough from their possession.

Stamford continued to press forward after the break and Castle had to be sharp to save at the foot of the post from Deane. Adam Millson and Liam Parker both had chances before the ball was hoofed upfield - and despite an appeal for offside - Scott Hadland doubled Barwell’s lead.

Stamford kept taking the game to Barwell and a good run by Deane ended with him cutting the ball back to Matt Cook. He hit the ball first time but the ball smashed against the Barwell post.

A Walton cross almost caught out Castle but he managed to hold the ball at full stretch and Max Avory and Deane both had chances.

It was not until the 89th minute that Stamford found the back of the Barwell net.

With a minute left a defender blocked a Liam Parker shot from a Cotton corner with his arm and Cotton sent Castle the wrong way with his spot kick.

Stamford had lost again but had matched their opponents who minutes later received the league championship trophy.

Stamford: C Wright, M Cook, N Jackson, A Toyne (S King 70), M Chamberlain, L Parker, J Walton (M Avory 79), A Millson, S Burkett, H Deane, D Cotton. Subs not used: M Evans, S Clark, S Ashton.

MOM: Dan Cotton