Daniels are held after dour draw

Have your say

Romulus o Stamford 0

STRUGGLING Romulus held play-off chasing Stamford to a dour goalless draw on Saturday.

Stamford were without Adam Hewitt and Jake Gibson and both Danny Brooks and Scott Mooney were carrying knocks so manager Tommy Brookbanks played safe and put them on the bench.

Fifteen minutes went by before there was anything of interest when Ross Whalin challenged big Nathan Blissett for a deep cross and the Daniels keeper required a long period of treatment before he was able to continue.

Five minutes later Whalin had to be sharp to palm away an Ashley Jackson free kick.

There was little constructive football by either side but what there was came from Romulus.

A Romulus corner was only half cleared and, Bruno Holden, who had stayed back, was in the right place to head the return shot away.

A long range shot hit the back of Dean Whiley but the deflection went straight into the arms of Whalin.

Stamford’s first threat on the Romulus goal came on the half hour but it was a Romulus mix-up, defending a Nathan Watson corner, which ended with Phil Male beating his keeper to the ball and heading just over his own bar.

Stamford finally put a decent flowing move together but it fizzled out when Jared Holmes chose not to shoot but to play the ball to Watson who was immediately surrounded by a posse of Romulus defenders.

It was 0-0 at the break with scarcely a chance for either side. The second half started with a flurry of activity at both ends.

First an outstretched leg from Whalin stopped a shot from Nathan Walkery and then the ball was straight up the other end for Holden to play in Watson. With just Romulus keeper Lee Evans to beat, Watson fired into the side netting.

Both sided huffed and puffed with little decent football. Midway through the half Walkery had another chance but another Stamford boot stretched, this time Joe Pheasant, to block the ball.

Stamford’s best chance came from a Danny Brooks free kick but Whiley headed wide. A couple of minutes later a long clearance from Wayne Diuk reached Holden but his shot was passed the far post.

With the game staggering to the final whistle the last chance went to Romulus and Whalin had to be quick to get down and block the shot from Liam Francis.

In the end Stamford had a rare clean sheet but they had not had a single shot on target through the 90 minutes. They had won a point away from home but against lowly opposition, it had to be considered two points dropped. Romulus hadn’t been much better but at least they had brought three good saves from the Stamford keeper.

Stamford boss Brookbanks was satisfied with the point gained on an artificial surface which the home side are more familiar with.

He said: “I think that is a point picked up.

“They are not losing many at home. It’s very different to anything we usually play on and they battled for their lives.

“Defensively we were rock solid. The back for are getting it together.”

Stamford: Ross Whalin, Luke Garton, Joe Pheasant, Wayne Diuk, Dean Whiley, David Staff, Nathan Watson (Scott Mooney 72), Kieran Watson (Danny Brooks 61), Bruno Holden, Nick Ghislanzoni, Jared Holmes (Harry Deane 61). Sub not used Mark Harvey.

MOM: Ross Whalin.