Daniels lose 100 percent away record

Share this article
Have your say

Stamford maintained their unbeaten away run but not their 100 percent record away from home, drawing 2-2 at Hucknall Town on Tuesday evening.

Just as at Brigg Town on Saturday, Stamford fell two goals down before launching a spirited fight back - only this time they couldn't fins a third, winning goal.

Stamford enjoyed most of the early play but Hucknall had the first chance with Matt Finlay forced to come off his line sharply to block the shot.

Hucknall were quick on the break and showed the threat they posed when a ball into the Stamford box took a deflection off Jones and landed on the roof of the net. But if that was a let-off it was short-lived. The corner went straight through the Stamford defence to Evan Garnett who drove the ball across Finlay into the far corner to put Hucknall ahead.

Stamford kept going forward and Gary King had a great chance to bring Stamford level but his shot across goal took a deflection which steered the ball just past the far post.

With 34 minutes gone Jack Cotton pulled up when he looked favourite to get to a through ball leaving acres of space for the ball to be played to Aaron Large who put Hucknall further ahead. Cotton couldn’t continue and was replaced by Tom Batchelor.

Stamford were two down again and it was all to do to get back in the game. It was three goals in four minutes on Saturday at Brigg. This time it was two goals in a minute to get level again.

First Danny Brooks curled the ball past Fisher with the outside of his foot from 25 yards. Then Andy Hall teased a Hucknall defender until he made his move to get the ball, then skipped past him to deliver a great cross. King’s shot was blocked but Louis Hamilton followed up to smash the ball home.

Hucknall were dangerous going forward, using both wings with Garnett in particular whipping in testing crosses which, fortunately for Stamford, either went straight through the defence or a defender did enough to keep the ball away from a Hucknall forward. For Stamford, Hall was as much a threat but again, the cross didn’t create the chance his work deserved.

Midway through the half, Greg Smith came on and the Stamford fans looked forward to him mixing it up with his different style of play. After only two minutes he was close to turning in a great cross from King but with just a toe on the ball it lacked pace and was gathered by Fisher.

Stamford breathed a huge sigh of relief when another cross went from one side of the box to the other but, two yards out, Jamie Brown blazed the ball over.

With time running out, Sam Mullarkey was close to scoring the Stamford winner but his shot flashed past the post, and in stoppage time a Brooks thunderbolt was blocked.

A draw was a fair result against a Hucknall team that were particularly lively going forward. Stamford supporters though left Hucknall unsure whether this was a point won or two points dropped.

Stamford: Matt Finlay, Robbie Maddox, Paul Mayo, Jack Cotton (Tom Batchelor 36), Richard Jones, Danny Brooks, Louis Hamilton (Greg Smith 71), Jack McGovern (David Staff 64), Gary King, Sam Mullarkey, Andrew Hall. Subs not used: Joe Hopewell, Richard Stainsby.

MoM: Gary King.