Daniels pay price for mistakes

Have your say

Sheffield FC 3 Stamford 2

STAMFORD endured aother defeat on the road, losing 3-2 to Sheffield FC yesterday evening.

After a low key start it was a game that Stamford could have won with better finishing. But they wasted gold chances and paid the price for mistakes at the back.

It was a low key start for both teams and nearly ten minutes had gone before there was any goalmouth incident and 25 minutes had gone by before Stamford had their first chance. Ryan Oliver charged down a clearance but his shot from the edge of the box was always going wide.

Jamie Clarke wasted a glorious chance to put Stamford ahead when he got behind a static Sheffield defence appealing for offside, rounded Sheffield keeper Dan Whatsize but then dragged his shot across an open goal and off the far post.

With five minutes of the half remaining, Sheffield took the lead, with Ant Lynam finishing after a series of shots blocked by Chris Wright in the Stamford goal.

Harry Deane was brought on early in the second half and his first touch was a shot which flashed past the near post. Minutes later Stamford were level when a Sheffield clearance ricocheted off another defender to Oliver, who rounded Whatsize to slotted the ball into the Sheffield goal.

Stamford then had a strong period which could have won the game but first Dan Cotton headed over the bar from a yard out and Miles Chamberlain headed wide of an open goal from six yards.

At the other end Chamberlain completely missed a deep cross allowing the ball to go to an unmarked Chris Adam but he hurried his shot into the arms of Wright. Worse was to come when a woeful pass from Chamberlain went straight to a Sheffield player and immediately played wide to Roney. He was fouled by Seth Burkett but stayed on his feet. The referee played advantage but didn’t hesitate awarding a penalty when the next tackle, this time by Cotton, brought Roney down in the box. Andrew Gascoigne sent Wright the wrong way.

A minute later it was 3-1 to Sheffield when another deep cross from Roney was headed home by an unmarked Tom Roebuck.

Matt Evans tested Whatsize with a cross cum shot which was tipped over from under the bar. Andy Toyne flicked on another Evans cross which Whatsize had to tip over again. From the corner Chamberlain headed the ball forward and Paul Malone headed home.

Stamford: Chris Wright, Matt Evans, Seth Burkett, Andy Toyne, Miles Chamberlain, Paul Malone, Simon Mowbray (Harry Deane 51), Adam Millson, Ryan Oliver, Jamie Clarke, Dan Cotton. Subs not used: Jake Walton, Craig Hill.