Decent Daniels display fails to gain maximum reward

Liam Adams gave Stamford an early lead on Tuesday night.
Liam Adams gave Stamford an early lead on Tuesday night.
Have your say

A decent Daniels display again failed to yield a maximum return as Stamford were held at home for the third time in five EvoStik League Division One South games after a 1-1 draw with Bedworth United on Tuesday night.

Despite getting off to a flying start through Liam Adams’ fifth minute opener, the Daniels were pegged back just five minutes later.

They then dominated large parts of the contest but, just like most of the games so far this season, failed to finish off spirited opposition.

Assistant boss Danny Hussey felt his side’s performance was worthy of more as Stamford maintained their unbeaten home record.

Hussey said: “I was really happy with the performance, but disappointed with the result.

“We bullied them in the first half and had most of the play in the second half.

“We created enough chances, but again we haven’t got the result we wanted.

“I was really pleased with the boys’ performance and their work-rate.”

Stamford were quickly out of the blocks and it took just five minutes for Boston United loanee Adams to break the deadlock.

Jake Duffy won possession after pressuring the Bedworth backline and found Jordan Smith who teed up to Adams to unleash a stunning strike that left Greenbacks custodian Adam Harrison grasping at thin air.

However, the lead lasted just five minutes as a cross to the back post was headed into the path of the experienced Iyseden Christie who evaded an attempted offside trap to level from close range.

Stamford responded with Harrison - who was drafted in from Bedworth’s Under 21 side due to a goalkeeping injury crisis - making a couple of smart stops.

He tipped the ball over after a Duffy free-kick had been turned goalwards before denying Duffy from close range from the resultant corner.

Smith put a header wide from an Eliot Putman cross before returning Daniels goalkeeper Dan Haystead got down smartly to smother a header from Elliott Parrott.

Smith saw an effort early in the second half safely gathered by Harrison while Ryan Smith produced a fine saving tackle to prevent the Stamford frontman from getting a shot in on goal when well placed.

Kieran Brehon flashed a shot wide for the visitors who also had a free-kick from Levi Rowley go just over the crossbar.

The lively Adams had a shot well held by Harrison before Bedworth substitute Khaellen Bailey-Nicholls just failed to connect with a Rowley cross with the goal at his mercy.

There was late drama when Harrison was penalised by referee Kenwyn Hughes for holding onto the ball for too long in his box.

However, Duffy saw his injury-time free-kick blocked by the Bedworth wall as the visitors held out for their first away point of the season.

Stamford: Haystead, George, Putman, Armstrong, Gordon, Eze, Hill (Challinor), Duffy, Smith (Sandy), Adams, Morgan. Not used: King, Hollis, Swan (GK).

Bedworth: Harrison, Smith, Brehon (Downie), Parrott, Cartwright, McAteer, Dudley, Blackmore, Christie (Bailey-Nicholls), Rowley, Blythe. Not used: Sturgess, Perkins, Bills.

Attendance: 228.