Deserved win for Daniels

Have your say

Newcastle Town 1 Stamford 2

STAMFORD picked up their first away win of the season - their first away points of the season - on Saturday, beating Newcastle Towmn 2-1.

Simon Clark’s side faced a much weaker Newcastle side than the team that had finished second in the league last season and Stamford started brightly, playing the ball around well.

But despite the start, the Daniels fell behind after 10 minutes. Anthony Malbon had been involved in every Newcastle move and it was his teasing cross which set up the goal, beating the Stamford defence and then being driven home at the far post by Kyle Blake.

Four minutes later Newcastle were close to increasing their lead when the Stamford defence struggled to clear a Newcastle corner.

Stamford settled again and took control of the game playing some good football and the equaliser came on 29 minutes - and what a goal!

Lee Beeson beat a couple of defenders before crossing to Sam Mullarkey. Beeson kept on running and Mullarkey delivered the perfect pass for Beeson to sweep the ball home.

Two minutes later more good play set up Danny Brooks but his shot struck a Newcastle head and went out for a corner. From the corner, the ball went straight through the Newcastle defence to Mullarkey who put the ball away to give Stamford a deserved lead.

Stamford kept up the attack. Jake Gibson had a 25 yard shot tipped over the bar and minutes later there was almost a repeat as another corner went straight through to Mullarkey. This time his shot hit a Newcastle defender and rebounded to Gary King but his header back cleared the bar.

The wind had increased as the half progressed but Stamford had played some good football and deserved their lead.

The first chance of the second half went to Danny Brooks but his 30 yard shot drifted wide of the Newcastle goal. Minutes later a foul on Beeson gave Brooks a chance with the free kick. It looked like a goal but Dyson did well again to stretch and turn the ball over the bar.

With hardly a foul in the game, the referee suddenly started showing yellow cards with three Stamford bookings in as many minutes. That unsettled the team and Newcastle had their best period of the game but were still well controlled by the Stamford back four.

At the other end, Miles Chamberlain delivered the perfect ball for Mullarkey to pull away from his marker but his shot scraped past the post.

There were no more chances for either side but Stamford finished well in control of the game.

Stamford: Mario Ziccardi, Matt Cook, Robbie Maddox, Danny Steadman (Seth Burkett 91), Miles Chamberlain. Michael Jacklin, Lee Beeson (David Staff 74), Danny Brooks, Gary King, Sam Mullarkey, Jake Gibson. Subs not used: Jake Walton, Craig Hill.

Man of the match: Michael Jacklin

Stamford are at home to Loughborough Dynamo tis evening - kick off at 7.45pm at the PK Arena.