Glapwell becoming Daniels’ bogey side

Have your say

Glapwell 1 Stamford 0

STAMFORD will be sick of the name Glapwell after this latest defeat to a side who had already beaten then twice and held them to a draw thisseason.

The good news before kick off was that Connor Higginson, who had scored all six Glapwell goals in those games, had been recalled by Mansfield Town.

But on the downside, Stamford were without Ryan Oliver which meant a major reshape with Dan Cotton moving up front, Adam Millson moving out to the left and Dave Frecklington coming into the starting line-up.

Stamford started playing up the hill on a hard, bumpy, pitch but although they had the best of the opening minutes, the first chance went to Glapwell after ten minutes with Chris Wright blocking an Ian Holmes shot.

Dean Oliver was busy up front and he had Stamford’s first chance but his shot was comfortably wide.

Stamford continued to take the game to Glapwell and a good pass from Frecklington set up Matt Cook but James Lindley in the Glapwell goal was in the right place to hold the shot.

Stamford had a great chance when Oliver crossed to Cotton but the ball bounced high and Cotton scuffed his shot. Two minutes later Miles Chamberlain flicked on a free kick but Deane had to stretch to reach the ball and his shot cleared the bar.

Cotton worked hard up front and forced a hurried clearance by Lindley from a back pass but the ball came off his foot across goal when it could easily have gone into an empty net.

Glapwell were creating little but they wasted their best chance when Matt Varley headed wide from a corner.

It was 0-0 at half time and Stamford had played the better football.

Playing uphill in the second half, Glapwell took control and they were close to taking the lead on the hour. Ian Brown turned quickly and played the ball to Matt Telling on the right and Wright had to low to his left to steer the ball past the post.

Two minutes later Lindley pulled off an identical save after good work between Cotton and Millson set up Oliver.

Although they had plenty of possession, Glapwell were creating little threat but that changed on 64 minutes when Evan Garnett ran from deep to get on the end of the ball played through the Stamford defence. He squared the ball to Ian Holmes who had simply to side foot the ball home for goal number 30 this season.

There may have been a suspicion of offside with the final ball but it was still the best move of the game.

Stamford probably had the better of the remaining time, but they couldn’t break down the Glapwell defence.

Yet again, home supporters and officials admitted Stamford deserved something from the game but yet again they came away with nothing.

This loss made it number 12 by the odd goal this season.

Stamford: Chris Wright, Matt Cook, Nick Jackson, Andy Toyne, Miles Chamberlain, Liam Parker, Harry Deane, Dave Frecklington (Craig Hill 75), Dean Oliver, Dan Cotton, Adam Millson. Subs not used: Stuart King, Seth Burkett, Jake Walton, Simon Clark.

Man of match: Dean Oliver.