Holden’s hat-trick heroics

Miles Chamberlain scores Stamford's third against Coalville on Tuesday  Photo: Geoff Atton
Miles Chamberlain scores Stamford's third against Coalville on Tuesday Photo: Geoff Atton
Have your say

Stamford 4 Coalville 2

A BRUNO Holden hat-trick lifted the Daniels to joint top of the Evo-Stik League’s First Division South on Tuesday.

Stamford beat Coalville 4-2 with Miles Chamberlain also on the scoresheet on a night when Holden took his tally to six in four games since joining from Brigg Town.

And with strike partner Nick Ghislanzoni bagging two during Saturday’s 4-1 victory at home to Romulus, Daniels boss Tommy Brookbanks is delighted with his new forwards.

“They have nine between them in four or five games. I knew they were good players but you never know for sure how they are going to gel.”

“These could have been tricky games,” said the Daniels boss who, despite scoring eight goals in two games and praising the supply from Nathan Watson, Adam Hewitt, Luke Garton and Jake Gibson, was even more pleased by his defence.

Brookbanks said: “Our defence from open play is looking a lot tighter. Sloppy possession in midfield gave away two goals on Tuesday but over all the defence has improved. We are not getting cut open like we were.”

Stamford are behind leaders Ilkeston on goal difference but after the leaders’ defeat at Carlton on Wednesday, Stamford boast two games in hand of Ilkeston and third-placed Sheffield.

The Daniels play both sides in the first week of December in two crucial games but Brookbanks was determined to focus tomorrow’s trip to Brigg and then Tuesday’s game at Loughborough.

He said: “We have to make sure we get six points from Brigg and Loughbrough.

“You have to assume each game that comes is the biggest. We must look at every game as if it is a top of the table clash.”

And Tuesday’s hat-trick hero Holden couldn’t be returning to his old club, Brigg, in better form.

Coalville, who Stamford had already beaten away in the league and at home in FA Trophy and Doodson Cup, started the game stronger and looked to be out for some revenge.

They should have taken the lead after only five minutes when Chris Gumery shot wide with only Mario Ziccardi to beat.

After the first twenty minutes of Coalville pressure the tide began to turn and Stamford grew into the game with Danny Brooks’ header tipped over the bar.

Stamford took the lead on 25 minutes when Holden headed Adam Hewitt’s deep cross deep back across goal and into the far post. Nathan Watson turned provider for Holden’s second, once again a header at the far post.

Holden could have made it three sooner than he did but Sean Bowles pushed his header over. From the following corner, Chamberlain poked the ball home.

Chamberlain had a towering header blocked on the line early in the second half before Coalville pulled one back, capitalising on a bad pass from Brooks and GUmery scoring.

Almost immediately Stamford restored their three goal lead. Gibson found Holden on the edge of the area and he made enough space to curl his shot into the far corner for his hat-trick.

Coalville got another goal back from a long range Cameron Stuart free kick that caught Ziccardi unaware but Stamford held on.

Stamford travel to Brigg Town tomorrow and Loughborough on Tuesday.

Stamford: Ziccardi, Garton, Hewitt, Pheasant, Chamberlain, Staff, Watson, Brooks (Toyne 74), Holden, Ghislanzoni (Deane 67), Gibson (Steadman 74). Sub unused: Harvey.

Att 220. MOM Holden.