New striker to give Daniels double boost

Centre back Paul Malone has commited himself to the Daniels
Centre back Paul Malone has commited himself to the Daniels
Have your say

DANIELS boss Simon Clark expects to have an experienced Evo-Stick striker signed in time for tomorrow’s game against Rushall Olympic.

Clark was hoping to seal the arrival of former Glapwell and Belper striker Dean Oliver yesterday evening with a view to putting him straight into the side.

The new recruit would be the second boost the Stamford boss has received this week, after the earlier decision of centre back Paul Malone to stay at the Vic Couzens Satadium.

Malone had been approached by King’s Lynn but Clark was determined to convince him to stay.

Clark said: “It’s fantastic that he is staying.

“He’s a talented defender and a goal threat. His reading of the game is getting better all the time. He’s ambitious and will go a long way but he loves this club and we get on well.”

If Oliver’s arrival is confirmed, he will be latest in a long line of strikers at the Daniels this season but Clark says he’s sure Oliver’s style and experience fits the bill.

Clark said: “We need a proven Evo-Stick level player and I think he’ll enjoy playing here and score goals. He’s eneregetic, works hard on and off the ball and runs the line.”

“We seem to be nine tenths of the way there but we have not been taking chances. We could have taken six points from the last two games but only away with one.”

Stamford endured another defeat on the road on Tuesday, losing 3-2 to Sheffield FC.

After a low key start it was a game that Stamford could have won with better finishing but they wasted golden chances and paid the price for mistakes.

Nearly ten minutes had gone before there was any goalmouth incident and 25 minutes had gone by before Stamford had their first chance. Ryan Oliver charged down a clearance but his shot was always going wide.

Jamie Clarke wasted a glorious chance to put Stamford ahead when he got behind a static Sheffield defence appealing for offside. He rounded keeper Dan Whatsize but then dragged his shot across an open goal and off the far post.

With five minutes of the half remaining, Sheffield took the lead, with Ant Lynam finishing after a series of shots blocked by goalkeeper Chris Wright.

Harry Deane was brought on early in the second half and his first touch was a shot which flashed past the near post. Minutes later Stamford were level when a Sheffield clearance ricocheted off another defender to Oliver, who rounded Whatsize to score.

Stamford then had a strong period which could have won the game but first Dan Cotton headed over the bar from a yard out and Miles Chamberlain headed wide of an open goal from six yards.

Stamford fell behind after a woeful pass from Chamberlain went straight to a Sheffield player. The ball was played wide to Roney who was fouled by Seth Burkett but stayed on his feet. The referee played advantage but didn’t hesitate awarding a penalty when the next tackle, this time by Cotton, brought Roney down in the box. Andrew Gascoigne sent Wright the wrong way.

A minute later it was 3-1 to Sheffield when another deep cross from Roney was headed home by Tom Roebuck.

Matt Evans tested Whatsize with a cross-shot which was tipped over the bar and Andy Toyne flicked on another Evans cross which Whatsize had to tip over. From the corner, Chamberlain headed the ball forward and Paul Malone headed home.

Stamford: Chris Wright, Matt Evans, Seth Burkett, Andy Toyne, Miles Chamberlain, Paul Malone, Simon Mowbray (Harry Deane 51), Adam Millson, Ryan Oliver, Jamie Clarke, Dan Cotton. Subs not used: Jake Walton, Craig Hill.

l Kick off against Rushall is at 3pm at the Vic Couzens Stadium tomorrow.