Slideshow: Nine-man Stamford are sunk by late winner

Have your say

Ten minutes into injury time the Daniels second defeat in succession was finally sealed at Kettering Road on Saturday afternoon.

Stamford lost 2-1 after conceding a 90th minute winner to Richard Teesdale, who turned home a free-kick after Jonathan Gould was brought down just outside the Daniels box.

Stamford players are spoken to during Saturday's defeat at home to Chasetown. Two Daniels players were sent off during the 2-1 loss.'Photo: Geoff Atton

Stamford players are spoken to during Saturday's defeat at home to Chasetown. Two Daniels players were sent off during the 2-1 loss.'Photo: Geoff Atton

Chasetown’s winner ended a late rally from Stamford and summed up a disappointing afternoon for The Daniels, who had been hoping to bounce back from a 4-0 thumping at Belper a week later, and had Jack McGovern sent off for disputing the decision.

McGovern became the second Stamford player to see red for dissent, following substitute Sean Wright’s dismissal on an afternoon that saw a smattering of cards in a game with little in the way of dangerous tackles or deliberate fouls.

Stamford’s goalscorer Wright received a straight red for dissent after conceding a penalty for a foul on Wellbourne late in the game.

Matt Finlay pulled off a superb double save to turn Simon Brown’s spot kick on to the post and then deny Danny Bragoli on the rebound.

But the Stamford goalkeeper was unable to prevent Brown’s 47th minute penalty squeezing inside his right-hand post just a minute into the second half - a penalty decision that led to Daniels boss Wayne Hatswell being given his marching orders.

In between Chasetown’s two penalties, Wright had pulled Stamford level, heading in off the post after the ball came back off the crossbar at a corner.

The eventful second half was in contrast to a scrappy opening 45 - with an additional six for fist half stoppage time - punctuated by the referee’s whistle and devoid of great goalscoring chances. Finlay reacted to make a double save at one end while Jordan Hempenstall fired a long range effort narrowly over the bar late in the first half.

After taking the lead, Chasetown’s Gould came close to making it two with a cracking effort that came back off the inside of Finlay’s post and Stamford skipper Richard Jones alomst drew the Daniels level with a header that was tipped over by Ryan Price.

Wright’s leveller encouraged Stamford to press forward in the final 15 minutes - perhaps their best spell of the game - before they were caught late on.

The referee, who added a total of 16 minutes stoppage time, hadn’t had his finest game with both sets of players appearing perplexed at times but Stamford’s ill-discipline cost them red cards and suspensions to follow at a crucial stage of the season.

Stamford’s red card tally now stands at six for the season and assistant boss David Staff said: “Whatever the standard of the referee, there are lessons to be learned. Our disciplinary record is not good enough.

“At 10 minutes the momentum was going our way but we need to perform better. There are three or four who have hit a slump at just the wrong time.”

Stamford’s next test will be no easier with a trip to 10th-placed Leek Town on Tuesday. Leek lost 2-0 at King’s Lynn on yesterday but proved their threat when they won 1-0 at Stamford with a 90th minute strike in January. Tuesday’s match at Leek kicks off at 7.45pm.