Third straight defeat for Daniels

Have your say

Rainworth MW 3 Stamford 0

THE Daniels lost their third game on the spin on Saturday, going down 3-0 at Rainworth Miners Welfare.

Since going top of the table briefly in November, Stamford have struggled for points and, on paper, struggling Rainworth seemed the ideal place to get back on track.

New signings Wayne Duik and Alex Flett started for Stamford after the game got the green light following two pitch inspections.

Neither side started quickly but Stamford had the better possession in the opening 15 minutes.

A weak back pass from Cameron Fearon allowed Bruno Holden to intercept and square the ball to Nick Ghislanzoni who should have done better than allowing Rainworth keeper Joe McCormack to block his shot for a corner.

Soon after a superb turn by Nathan Watson took him past two defenders and gave him room to cross the ball onto the head of Ghislanzoni but his header was too high.

Rainworth took the lead, against the run of play, after 28 minutes but it was a well struck shot from Ant Lynam which went over Mario Ziccardi and into the top corner.

Two minutes later Stamford were close to a fortuitous equaliser when a shot from Jake Gibson struck a defender but, with McCormack stranded, the ball went past the post.

The half ended as it had begun with Stamford enjoying possession but not creating any real threat. Rainworth had created even less but led at the break.

Stamford needed to get back into the game quickly but it was Rainworth who started the second half strongly, and they went further ahead after just two minutes.

The Stamford defence didn’t deal with a long McCormack clearance and Ben Spargo put the ball away.

With 55 minutes gone it looked as if Stamford would pull a goal back. Adam Hewitt delivered a great ball over the Rainworth defence but Watson, whose touch is usually so good, knocked the ball past the keeper but straight across the goal. His cross back was then fired over by Bruno Holden.

Rainworth were much the better side now, getting the ball forward quickly and denying Stamford time to settle.

Stamford made a triple substitution mid-way through the half to try and lift their game but Rainworth still created chances with Lynam was flashing a shot past the post.

Lynam then spurned an even better chance when he intercepted a pass from Wayne Duik but, with just Ziccardi to beat, fired straight at the keeper. Stamford then needed the help of the woodwork when another Lynam shot crashed off the bar.

Nathan Adams, briefly at Stamford last season, came on for Rainworth and was unlucky when a long range shot curled just past the top corner but eventually Rainworth’s pressure paid off. The third goal came seven minutes from time when the Daniels defence failed to deal with another long clearance allowing Matt Glass to fire past Ziccardi.

Stamford: Mario Ziccardi, Joe Pheasant, Adam Hewitt, Wayne Duik, Miles Chamberlain, David Staff, Nathan Watson, Alex Flett (Andy Toyne 67), Bruno Holden (Kieren Watson 67), Nick Ghislanzoni, Jake Gibson (Harry Deane 67). Subs not used: Luke Garton, Stuart King.