Rangers blow away PNS in whirlwind first half

Football  action from Deeping v Northern Star EMN-160123-172443009
Football action from Deeping v Northern Star EMN-160123-172443009
Have your say

Deeping Rangers avenged their defeat earlier in the season away at Peterborough Northern Star with a devastating first half performance at home on Saturday which saw them lead 4-0 at the break.

In the end the UCL Premier Division match finished 4-2 at the Haydon Whitham Stadium, to move Rangers up to third place in the league.

Football  action from Deeping v Northern Star EMN-160123-172431009

Football action from Deeping v Northern Star EMN-160123-172431009

Deeping broke the deadlock on 15 minutes when Scoot Coupland was found by a David Burton-Jones’ pass and in turn found Scott Mooney in the visitor’s box, he took a touch past the defender and fired into the far corner past stranded keeper Dan George.

PNS had a couple of good chances, Luca Dusi’s fine pass threaded through the home defence to find Craig Smith but the chance was lost as a combination of recovering Rangers defenders blocked the threat, Jacob Joyce then played a good ball to find Smith only to see Dan Flack make a good challenge to nick the ball away.

Deeping doubled their advantage on 24 minutes, Flack drove his cross from wide and visiting skipper Luke Smith’s clearance only found Coupland who turned and despatched the ball into the top corner past the helpless George.

Before Star could recover Rangers made it 3-0 five minutes later, Burton-Jones won the ball in midfield and fed Coupland, he advanced and struck a low drive that beat the dive of George to bulge the net.

Football  action from Deeping v Northern Star EMN-160124-092524009

Football action from Deeping v Northern Star EMN-160124-092524009

PNS were creating chance but Danny Bircham in the Deeping goal and the home defence were combining to keep them at bay. The Clarets were awarded a penalty four minutes before the break; Bircham’s kick from his hands was audaciously flicked on by Coupland to free Humphrey, his run was ended by Luke Smith’s foul challenge. However Burton-Jones saw his spot kick well saved by George down to his right.

Despite the missed opportunity Rangers did score again before the interval. In the second minute of additional time, Coupland sent in a cross to the far post where Chris Hibbitt arrived to head past George.

The second half was more competitive with the defences limiting their opponents to few chances.

The visitor’s scored on 63 minutes when substitute Christian Lee’s fine pass found Craig Smith in the home box, he took a touch and drove past the dive of Bircham.

Star doubled their tally on 83 minutes, Craig Smith broke down the right and drove in a cross that home defender Spencer Tinkler attempted to deal with only to see his touch wrong foot Bircham and bobble over the line.

Rangers went close to adding to their tally late on but George denied Coupland a further score. In the end their whirlwind first half performance was enough to ensure victory.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, Dan Flack, Tom Smith, David Burton-Jones (C), Spencer Tinkler, Luke Hunnings, Luke Avis (Henry Dunn), Chris Hibbitt, Scott Mooney, Scott Coupland, Ollie Humphrey (Will Bird)

Substitute not used: Jake Marsden

Peterborough Northern Star: Dan George, Matt Carter, Michael Mackrell, Callum Madigan, Luke Smith, Luca Dusi (Hayden Bream), Chae Simons (Danny Barker), Jack Warwick (Christian Le). Jacob Joyce, Chris Jones, Craig Smith.

Substitute not used: Sam Phillips, Sam Parker.

Referee: Mr Kev Saunby

Attendance: 123