Rangers secure 3-0 win in first half

Junior Football news.
Junior Football news.
Have your say

Deeping Rangers reshuffled the pack against Wellingborough Town in the UCL Premier Division, writes Paul Smith.

The changes were due to injuries to Holt, Stone and Tinkler with Burton-Jones and forced Parker to join the defence.

The first chance came when Wellingborough’s Fountain handled 25 yards out but Rangers’ Craig Parker shot over from the free-kick while Deeping’s Simon Ashton was busy sweeping up a couple of Wellingborough forays into the Deeping half.

The first goal came on 17 minutes from a Wellinborough corner.

Deeping’s Burton Jones’ clearance found Alex Beck who set Griffiths down the right - his cross found Oliver free in the visitor’s box to sidefoot into the net beyond the advancing keeper.

Deeping were having the better of the game and a good move saw Beck release Oliver down the left to then set up Beck and his goalbound shot appeared to be handled by a Wellingborough defender but the referee declined appeals for a penalty.

Rangers extended their lead on 29 minutes - Matt Heron’s pass found Oliver in the box, he chested the ball down and his next touch placed the ball wide of Brassington into the net.

It was a dominant Rangers now and Oliver set up Beck only to see a good save from the visiting keeper.

Then Beck saw his volley go just over the bar from a great cross from Griffiths.

Wellingborough reminded Deeping they were still in the game and Mitchell wriggled in the box and shot at Doughty and Chris Davies cross was met by Jason Taylor but his header was just wide

Deeping wrapped the game up in 40 minutes when Matt Heron rose to head home Scott Ginty’s corner.

The second half was a tepid affair and chances were few and far between.

Wellingborough started very lively but despite a spell of dominance they did not look likely to reduce the arrears although sloppy Deeping defending gave Robbie Harris a chance but his effort was well saved by Doughty.

Rangers’ Beck did well down the left but shot when a pass looked the better option and then was set free behind the Doughboys defence by Griffiths. However his lobbed attempt was taken by the advancing Brassington.

Both sides finished the game with good attempts from Foster for Wellingborough forced Doughty into action at the foot of his post and then Tommy Treacher freed fellow sub Nicki Young, his cross was met by Ondre Odain who saw his his effort just wide of the post.

Match Ball Sponsor - Roy Robinson

Man of the Match sponsor - Rod Sadd. Man of the Match - Deeping Rangers’ Mitch Griffiths

Deeping Rangers

1. James Doughty, 2. Dan Flack, 3. Craig Parker, 4. David Burton-Jones (Capt.), 5. Simon Ashton, 6. Jamie Forbes, 7. Mitch Griffiths , 8. Scott Ginty , 9. Ryan Oliver (15. Tommy Treacher), 10. Matt Heron (14. Nicki Young), 11. Alex Beck (16. Ondre Odain). Subs (not used) 12. Kev Gilbert, 17. Spencer Tinkler

Wellingborough Town

1. Jamie Brassington, 2. Chris Di Fante (Capt.) (Dan Burke), 3. Joe Rich, 4. Stuart Smeathers, 5. Tom Fountain, 6. Jason Taylor (Michael Boyle-Chong), 7. Josh Winters, 8. Chris Davies, 9. Jon Mitchell (Shane Lyons), 10. Robbie Harris, 11. Ben Foster. Subs (not used) Leo Adams, Todd Sawko