Revival too late for Cottesmore

Seb Archer-Fern, foiled on this occasion, scored twice for Cottesmore at Sileby on Saturday'Photo: Geoff Atton
Seb Archer-Fern, foiled on this occasion, scored twice for Cottesmore at Sileby on Saturday'Photo: Geoff Atton
Have your say

TUESDAY’S semi-final defeat in the Ancaster Cup cannot hide the fact that Cottesmore are finally showing what they are capable of in the league.

Cottesmore beat Sileby Town 2-1 away from home on Saturday to make it four unbeaten in the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division.

Seb Hood scored twice for the Rutlanders who showed the kind of form that would have seen them safe from the relegation zone if they could have ended their dreadful losing run just a few weeks earlier.

Cottesmore dominated Saturday’s encounter and manager Steve Duffy said: “We needed the season to go on for a few more weeks.”

The arrival of a couple of loan players has helped and Duffy, added: “It just shows what difference two or three players can make.”

But it was regulars Mike Feeley and Tom Spawton who earned most praise form their boss.

“They were outstanding,” he said.

“Every time Feeley got the ball he looked dangerous. He made the two goals and his attitude has been fantastic throughout.

“The whole team played well and their equaliser was totally against the run of play. Rob Lewin in goal barely had a touch.

“It was a great performance. I was just frustrated that we couldn’t keep a clean sheet.”

“It’s disappointing where we are in the league. We are capable of holding our own; we really should be mid-table but we have not had a big enough squad.

Cottesmore play Stapenhill at home on Saturday afternoon, knowing their run has come too late to lift them out of the bottom two places but with great promise for next season. Kick off at Rogues Park tomorrow is at 3pm.

Cottesmore: Rob Lewin, Alex Mackie, Lee Wood, Tom Spawton, Ollie McCann, Jason Kilbride, Danny Bomken, Seb Hood, Mike Feeley, Seb Archer-Fern, Alex Brockbank (Callum Corcoran). Sub unused: Richard Giblin.

COTTESMORE were leading 3-2 with 20 minutes to go in their semi-final defeat at the hands of Deeping Rangers Reserves.

Jason Kilbride had scored twice for Cottesmore, once from the penalty spot, and Seb Archer-Fern had scored a fine solo effort to put Cottesmore ahead.

But when goalkeeper Rob Lewin dropped a catch midway through the second half, the nerves that have haunted Cottesmore all season, returned.

Rangers capitalised on the error to level and quickly added a fourth. The hosts rounded off the result on the break, catching Cottesmore as they pushed for an equaliser.

“We had played very well and we were denied a stonewall penalty,” said Duffy. “Seb Archer-Fern scored an absolute peach of a goal. He ran 20 yards and chipped the goalkeeper.

“Rob was unfortunate. He had previously made a couple of good saves.”

Cottesmore: Rob Lewin, Tom Cardell, Callum Corcoran, Lee Wood, Ollie McCann, Jason kilbride, Seb Hood, Tom Caldicott, Mike Feeley, Seb Archer-Fern, Danny Bomken. Subs: Phil Noonan, David Cardell.