Sheehan setback for Town’s hopes

Share this article
Have your say

Crowland 2

Uppingham Town 2

UPPINGHAM Town may have to finish their title charge without skipper Paul Sheehan who went off injured in last week’s draw at Crowland.

Town’s Steve Pridmore said: “He has damaged his ankle ligaments. It could be four or five weeks before he’s playing again. He’s influential and will be a big miss.”

Sheehan was injured during a frustrating 2-2 in which Uppingham took a first half lead, fell behind after the break, levelled and thought they had scored a winner with the last kick of the game.

Pridmore said: “Their keeper parried a free kick and Neil Clarke tapped it in but the referee blew up for time, saying once the free kick was taken that was the last kick of the match.

“We heard the whistle and started celebrating only to find the whistle was for full-time.”

But he added, Uppingham should have sealed the points earlier in the game and were fortunate to draw.

He said “We dominated the first half and should have been out of sight.

“We made defensive errors in the second half and if we had taken three points we would have robbed them.”

Martin Turiccki put Uppingham ahead in the first half with a great strike from outside the box and top scorer Andy Sayers levelled with a direct free kick.

While Uppingham are riding high at the top of the Peterborough and District League’s Premier Division, Rutland Rangers boss Andy Saddington reckons his side needs three more wins to avoid the drop.

Rangers picked up a vital point at fellow strugglers, Leverington, with a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

Rangers are on 21 points and Saddington has targetted 30 as his survival target.

Leverington were reduced to nine men following two second-half red cards but they defended deep and frustrated Rangers for a share of the spoils.

Jamie Forbes gave Rangers a first half lead with a 25-yard free kick but Rangers missed three gilt-edged chances to extend their lead before Leverington drew level.

Chris Steele tried to lob the goalkeeper but did not get height to his shot, Tane Scott saw a good strike saved and Jamie Saddington had a header deflected onto the bar before a Leverington player ghosted in to head home a free kick before the two dismissals.

“We had Nathan Arkle and David Bates missing and showed a bit of inexperience, and started to shoot from anywhere,” said Saddington whose side face a trip to second-placed Ramsey on Saturday.

A week later Rangers travel to Moulton Harrox for the semi-final of the PFA Senior Cup.