Skipper Bennett is convinced the decisive goal didn’t cross the line on a frustrating day for Uppingham

Have your say

Uppingham Town skipper Martin Bennett was unimpressed by a series of refereeing decisions at Whittlesey on Saturday.

Town lost 2-1 to Blue Star but Bennett says the Rutlanders should have returned with at a least a point.

Town had Rab Lawrie sent off late in the game, were left bemused when the referee awarded the hosts their second goal and missed a late penalty on a frustrating afternoon.

“Neither side could believe some of the decisions,” said the Town skipper.

“There were eight yellow cards and a red but there was not a single bad tackle in the game.

“Rab’s first yellow was for asking if time was being added on when they were slow taking a corner.”

Lawrie’s second yellow came with a quarter of an hour remaining with James Binley, Rob Forster, James Coughlan and Tom Hubbard all booked in a flurry of yellows.

Town had taken the lead in the first half when Dave Laughton tucked a penalty away after Jake Norton had been brought down. But proving that a team is never weaker than after just scoring, Uppingham were caught by a long ball through the middle just five minutes later.

The decisive goal was given controversially with Uppingham convinced that Binley had cleared the ball from danger when the referee blew to say the ball had crossed the line.

“I thought it was for a free-kick,” said the Uppingham skipper.

Uppingham’s best chance to save a point came in the final minutes when they Rob Forester’s spot kick was saved.

“He was unlucky,” added Bennett. “He was our best player by far.”

This Saturday Uppingham host Crowland with Norton and Callum O’Berg both unavailable, and top scorer Martin Turiccki still serving a suspension. Kick off is at 2pm.

Uppingham: Tom Hubbard, Martin Bennett, James Binley, James Coughlan, Danny Dumford, Jamie Dumford, Rob Forster, Dave Laughton (Harry Gregg), Rob Lawrie, Jake Norton, Oli Webb.

Jack Henshaw and Matthew Hill scored for Town’s reserves in their Intermediate Shield victory against Deeping Rangers A.

Town won 2-1 and play Long Sutton in the next round on Saturday.