Stamford star in a dramatic shoot-out

Have your say

League Cup semi-final

Stamford U10 1

Powerleague U10 1

Stamford win 3-1 on penalties

STAMFORD won a nerve-jangling penalty shootout to reach the cup final, knocking out a Powerleague side that had completed a comprehensive league double over them.

The encounter was tense and scrappy, yet full of incident and drama.

Stamford started well with playmaker Jack Darby orchestrating the first attack with a fine pass to Ethan Burgess who fired wide.

After 10 minutes Jordan won a free kick wide to the left of the box after a ruthless, jarring challenge. The expectancy was for a high cross shot into the far right corner but he cleverly hit a superb low power drive into the near left corner to give Stamford the lead.

Keeper James Tyers exuded a calm confidence when saving an excellent goalbound free kick to keep his side ahead. A Darby free kick fizzed just wide before a Kettleborough snapshot went narrowly over the bar to conclude an edgy first half with Stamford just about taking the honours.

Powerleague came close early in the second half, clipping Stamfords’ bar at a corner while at the other end a tricky Darby run saw him scythed down for a free kick which Luke Toomey smacked over.

Stamford seemed on course for a 1-0 victory in normal time until a defensive blunder saw Altham’s recovering tackle judged to be a foul inside the box and Powerleague equalised from the spot.

The momentum changed and Stamford were now under pressure. Caius Headley was brought on to bolster Stamford’s defence and Stamford forced extra time.

Extra time saw neither side find the vital goal, leading to the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

Altham bravely stepped up to hammer home the first before Powerleague equalised with their first penalty.

Next up was Luke Toomey, who calmly thumped in an excellent penalty for 2-1 before the brilliant Tyers made a magnificent save to put Stamford in the driving seat.

Sam Jordan confidently smashed his penalty to the right of the static keeper with Powerleague missing their third.

Jack Darby’s powerful strike was brilliantly kept out by the keeper but Powerleague’s fourth attempt was blasted high over the bar to leave jubilant.

Deeping Rgrs U8 0 Stamford U8 1

STAMFORD produced their best performance of the season to win away at the previously unbeaten Deeping Rangers.

In a close game which was short on chances but high on effort from both teams, Stamford grabbed a second half winner to claim the victory.

The first half was played at a frantic pace with both teams cancelling each other out. In the second half the game opened up and became more end-to-end although the defences still stayed on top.

Ollie Edwards had a long range effort saved before Caleb Young scored the vital goal. After collecting a lovely a pass from Matt Betts during a swift breakaway, Caleb finished clinically into the corner of the net.

Ethan Young then produced a stunning save from the Deeping goalkeeper after a fiercely struck volley and William Watterson went close from a corner.

Stamford, through Ollie Edwards and Rhys Holmes especially, then defended stubbornly to secure the win and cap a great performance.

Stamford: Charley Darby, Ollie Edwards, Rhys Holmes, Ethan Young, Charlie Willis, William Watterson, Matt Betts, Caleb Young, Freddie Hibbitt.

Clenchwarton U15 girls 0

Stamford U15 girls 6

THE Stamford girls’ performance was as impressive as the scoreline.

Stamford’s passing, movement and control was out of the top drawer.

Henshaw began the goalfest, scoring from an oblique angle, when a cross was a far easier option. Smith added a well taken second and Stamford’s confidence grew.Ward neatly scored a third having been played through by Walpole.

In the second half, Stamford kept their foot on the pedal, with Henshaw adding a fourth.

The Clenchwarton keeper then underhit a goalkick and the ball fell to Worthington, 30 yards out, who ignored advice from the touchline and struck the ball first time into the top corner.

Ferry capped a strong running display by knocking in a corner that Clenchwarton had failed to clear.

With a well drilled defence and an in-form keeper, Stamford never looked like conceding. Had Stamford taken all their chances the scoreline could quite easily have been double figures.

Ward’s high octane and skilfull forward play rightly earnt her the player of the game accolade.

Stamford: Worthington, Kaufman, Cotterill, Henshaw, Bailey, Ireland, Clarke, Smith, Walpole, Walpole, Ward, Smith, Hyland, Ferry.

Sawtry U11 0 Stamford U11 7

SAWTRY succumbed to Stamford’s devastating attacking play in a mostly one-sided game.

They were shell-shocked by Stamford’s early barrage which opened up a 3-0 lead within the first 10 minutes with a superb hat trick from Callum Truscott.

Stamford’s biggest win of the season raised hopes of retaining their place in the top league.

Sawtry’s effort was admirable but they had no response to the early onslaught. Oscar Davey’s great through ball set up Truscott’s first and minutes later clever play in the box from Adam Jordan found Truscott who confidently slammed in number two. Ryan Sharp’s great ball over the Sawtry defence led to the third.

Sawtry forced a double save from Ewan Brookes but any hopes of a fightback were soon extinguished.

Truscott turned provider for Jordan who then cut inside, beating a defender before unleashing a half volley high into the left side of the net for a 4-0 lead.

Will Leech hit number five and Sharp latched on to the ball close in to score the sixth before half time.

Stamford added one more to their tally when Arlen McAlinden tapped in after some confusion on the Sawtry goal line for his first goal for Stamford.

This was Stamford’s best performance this season, giving hope of better things to come.

Peterboro NS Blue U11 2

Stamford U11 0

A GOAL in each half settled this tie at Peterborough.

Stamford had a threadbare team but surprised their hosts by taking the game to them and creating chances.

Ewan Brooks was outstanding in goal, making some good stops and one brilliant reflex save in the second half.

Oscar Davey, Adam Jordan and Callum Truscott worked hard while Ryan Sharp and Marcus Flanagan made good movement down the line and Ollie Thirsk held his position well making solid tackles and clearances. Joel Mathews and Arlen McAlinden defended stoically with Mathews helping to create attacking play from the middle.

Jordan’s run towards the box and deft flick almost put Stamford on the scoresheet but the rain sodden pitch slowed the ball down enough for it to be cleared.

Blues took the lead with a well taken goal by Ethan Atkins and then hit their second with a goal from Filip Czwerwonka.

Ryhall Utd U12 4 Werrington U12 4

RYHALL were taught a harsh lesson and gave themselves a mountain to climb after conceding three goals inside the opening 20 minutes.

Werrington punished very sloppy defending, poor passing and a non-competitive midfield from the home side.

However, Ryhall pulled it back to 3-3 with 15 minutes to go, through two good goals from Harry Peasgood, and a Callum Surridge strike.

Werrington went ahead once more, when Ryhall failed to clear their lines but dogged persistance, determination and a much improved second half, ensured Ryhall just held on to their unbeaten league record when Ryan Jibb popped up to equalise late in the game.

Ryhall: D.Johnson, K.Lock, J.Clayton, H.Brown, T.Smith, L.Horton, R.Thompson, J.Marechel, T.Fowler, J.Moseley, A.Eddisford, R.Jibb, H.Peasgood, R.Purkiss, C.Surridge.

Soccer schools

ARSENAL Soccer Schools Development centre for U14s and U15s are looking to expend to run teams for U15 and U16 players.

Players will get a chance to learn the technical side of the game from UEFA qualified coaches and continue to play for their local junior teams.

For details call head coach Mark Angel on 07919 206347 or e-mail

l KEEPER Tech Football Coaching are running football training for children aged three to six in Bourne.

Session are on Mondays from 4.30pm at Recreation Road. For details call Stewart England on 07507 891197 or e-mail