Stones lose to top sides

Have your say

Holbeach United 2 - 1 Blackstones

BLACKSTONES will hope for a change of fortune when they take on Yaxley at Lincoln Road tomorrow afternoon.

Stones have had the misfortune to meet a rampant Holbeach United and Shepshed Dynamo in their two games - both sides who will fancy their chances of being at the top of the table in May.

The Tigers have taken maximum points from their four games and Stones can take some comfort from the fact that they held their hosts to 2 -1 at Carters Park on Wednesday.

The Stamford side started brightly with Michael Nelson’s run creating an opening for Ben Porter whose fierce shot was blocked, and Liam Buttery was narrowly off target with a lob soon after.

Holbeach threatened when Tommy Treacher set up Sam Mulready whose shot on the turn brought a good save from Lee Crockett, and the home side took the lead four minutes before the break when Crockett was unable to prevent Mulready’s header from crossing the line.

Nelson went close early in the second half but Crockett was the busier keeper, saving Andy Toyne’s header from a Mitch Griffiths delivery.

Robbie Harris had a shot deflected and Andy Tidswell was wide with a low drive but after 67 minutes Stones were back on terms with Nelson scoring from the spot after Wes Lewis was penalised for handball.

Holbeach retook the lead however just six minutes later with Craig Parker’s 30 yard strike deflected into the corner of Stones’ net.

Blackstones: Lee Crockett, Matt Porter, Tim Quy, Jacob Smitheringale, Mark Hackett, Luke Hunnings, Liam Buttery (Nicki Young), Tom Davies (Danny Barker), Sam Bettinson, Michael Nelson, Ben Porter.

l SHEPSHED, who came down from the higher Evo-Stik League at the end of last season, put Blackstones to the sword in the second half on Saturday.

After a scoreless first 45 minutes, in which the sides proved evenly matched, Ryan Perkins made the breakthrough after 53 minutes.

Liam Fitzpatrick doubled the Shepshed lead on the hour, and former Stones man Kieran Davies made it three after 70 minutes. Rob Mulonga came off the bench to complete the scoring two minutes into added time.

Kick off at Lincoln Road tomorrow is at 3pm. Stones then host Boston Town on Tuesday evening.