Stones show that they can roll with the best

Action from Blackstones' draw at St Neots Photo: Kevin Rook
Action from Blackstones' draw at St Neots Photo: Kevin Rook
Have your say

BLACKSTONES know thay can beat the league leaders when St Neots visit Lincoln Road on Wednesday.

The Stamford side pushed the United Counties League’s big-spenders all the way last Saturday, leading 3-2 until an injury time leveller.

Joint boss Darren Jarvis said: “We know we can compete with St Neots. Our lads will go into the game thinking we can definitely get something from this game.”

Stones have taken points from many of the top sides this season and Jarvis added: “Not many teams will take points from St Neots and King’s Lynn.

“They had more chances in the second half but we deserved a point; in fact at the end, a 3-3 draw felt a bit like a defeat. Everybody performed well.”

Stones were arguably the better team in the first half, settling quickly in wet conditions and playing free-flowing, attacking football with a good shout for a penalty turned down inside the first five minutes. Adi Staffieri was judged to have been fouled outside of the box.

The opening goal was a little fortunate as a Ben Porter shot from 20 yards struck a Saints player to send the home side’s keeper the wrong way.

Stones continued to press and were rewarded with a second goal midway through the first half. Billy Oliver played a perfect through ball to Staffieri, who rounded to the keeper to score his 13th in a Blackstones shirt.

St Neots showed their quality in the second half with Stefan Mooore completing a great move to pull one goal back.

Stones restored their two goal advantage when an inch perfect cross from Elton Holmes was met by David Burton Jones but the league leaders fought back. They snatched a second goal with 15 minutes to go from a corner and upped the pressure on the Stones defence for the final 10 minutes.

As the clock ran down, it looked like Stones had done enough but with 30 seconds of stoppage time to play a cross from Moore was met by Webb who headed in at the near post to make the score 3-3.

Jarvis added: “I haven’t the foggiest idea of where the referee got three minutes of injury time from.

“We drew with King’s Lynn at our place earlier in the season but this is an even better achievement.”

l BLACKSTONES beat Boston Town 2-1 on Tuesday to reach the Lincolnshire Senior Trophy final where they will face Grimsby Borough.

Blackstones took a fourth minute lead against Boston when Poachers defender Michael Wood diverted a corner into his own net.

Boston levelled after 19 minutes when a fine passing move was rounded off by Paul Goodhand.

The decisive goal arrived five minutes into the second half when Nathan Stainfield’s back pass fell short and Sam Strange nipped in to score.

The final is on Tuesday, April 12. Stones may lay on coaches for fans.

l Kick off against St Neots on Wednesday is at 7.45pm.