Unbeaten Stamford in second round draw

Have your say

Stamford U16 4

Scunthorpe Park Tigers U16 2

Lincolnshire Cup - First Round

STAMFORD U16 secured their place in the second round draw with a victory against decent opposition at the Premier Kitchens Arena.

Stamford went one down in the opening five minutes but pulled themselves back with a great individual strike from Liam Parish on the half hour mark.

After drawing 0-0 with Farcet a week earlier, Stamford had focused on taking chances and the work paid off when skipper Ben Mason headed home from a corner before half time.

Tigers levelled early in the second half and the game remained even until a Tigers defender handled in the box. Declan McNally tucked the spot kick towards the bottom corner but the goalkeeper pulled off a fantastic save, pushing the ball out for corner. But from that corner the ball dropped for Jack Yule to smash home from five yards.

Midfield warrior Joe Leftley let rip from 25 yards to score a screamer to finish it off.

Coach Matt Davis said: “I’m really proud of the lads and the way they responded and battled back with football all played on deck. We are still unbeaten and top of the pick in the league too. I can’t ask for more.”

Match sponsor: Sandalls Butchers of Bourne

Ketton JFC U15 2

Kibworth and Smeeton U15 3

KETTON bowed out of the Leicester Cup at the first round but showed encouraging signs for the coming season after conceding two sloppy, early goals from set-pieces.

The visitors capitalised on some slack marking to go in 2-0 up at the break despite Ketton dominating most of the first half.

Midfielders Scott Toomey and Rudi Jerkschatt were excellent and two fine goals from substitute Tom Mann encouraged Ketton’s fight-back. Attackers Joe Morley and Luke Bagley worked hard for Ketton but Kibworth and Smeeton grabbed a third in a rare attack on the home side’s goal to disappoint Ketton.

Bourne U9 Reds 5

Arsenal Soccer Club 3

THE Reds produced their best performance of the season with a stunning display against a good Arsenal team.

Within seconds of the start a superb strike by Casey Machin caught the Arsenal goalkeeper off-guard and flew into the back of the net.

Omar Hassine Hinks and Edwards were dominant in the middle of the park and Couzens had his best game of the season in the Bourne defence.

A good ball by Bills down the right found Machin, who played in Edwards for a great second Bourne goal.

On the stroke of half time a Bills corner found the back of the net, giving the Reds a comfortable three goal half time lead.

Jacob Crosby had to be at his best to turn a Wirkowski effort over the bar early in the second half but soon after Bourne extended their lead. Edwards slotted past the Arsenal keeper.

The fifth soon followed with excellent play resulting in Machin securing his second of the match.

With 10 minutes to go, Arsenal were rewarded for their effort with Kemball slotting past Crosby. Wirkowski and Rees added two more goals in the latter stages.

Reds: Jacob Crosby, Nathan Bills, Joe Couzens, Omar Hassine Hinks, Luke Edwards, Casey Machin, Adam James, Isla Edwards, Alfie Bennett, Isaac Bates, Oakley Needham.

Ketton JFC U16 8

Richard Stott Soccer School U16 0

KETTON took the lead within the opening minutes when Lewis Morley turned his marker and fired into the roof of the goal.

Ketton’s second was a superb Harrison Miles shot and Miles added Ketton’s third before half-time.

The Rutland side maintained full control of the game in the second half with Nick Mainstone and Jack Wright scoring early on.

In the final ten minutes Ketton centre-back Nathan Wilson switched to striker and scored two quick goals before Tyler Sculthorpe made it eight

Stamford U10 1

Peterborough Northern Star Black 6

STAMFORD began well against the league leaders but an early goal from the Blacks meant Stamford had again to come from behind.

This they did with a great move from defence. Sam Jordan hit a fine diagonal pass to Dan Kettleborough who knocked the ball wide to Ethan Burgess. His first time cross found Kettleborough running into space to smash in first time to draw level.

But Blacks retook the lead with a brilliantly headed goal and a third quickly followed when the Stamford middle opened up.

Number four followed after a valiant effort from Luke Toomey and Ben Browne with keeper Alex Brompton blameless.

Keeper James Tyers made two outstanding saves but a brilliant, headed, fifth goal ended Stamford’s hopes before Blacks hit number six.

Coach Dave Jordan said: “Stamford were beaten by a strong, determined side although the scoreline belies their effort.”

Stamford: Alex Brompton, James Tyers, Luke Toomey, Aaron Altham, Eddie Wurr, Mathew Major, Ethan Burgess, Dan Kettleborough, Ben Browne, Sam Jordan. MoM: James Tyers.

Ketton U11 6 Ancaster Ath U11 0

KETTON put on an excellent performance to beat Ancaster 6-0.

Lively from the off, they got the best of starts with a goal within a minute. Kian Pearce’s great persistence paid off as he scored from a tight angle.

Will Berridge whipped in some great crosses from the right as Frankie Philpott and Ben Whittenbury added two more before the break.

Ancaster’s keeper had a good game but two more goals for both Kian and Frankie settled the tie and Will made it six.

The back four of Owen Merriman, Kavan Hinson, Sean Cunnington and Thomas Wiles were solid throughout and while Bryn Davies and Archie Woolcott were relatively untroubled in goal, both did their jobs well.

Jacob Smith was energetic at the back and Ollie Pickwell recovered from an early injury scare and had a good second half with Ollie Bexson and Henry Stephenson both busy and effective throughout.