Uppingham let lead slip away, Ryhall claim impressive win on the road while Oakham rue penalty decisions

Share this article
Have your say

Uppingham Town let a two-goal lead slip away, to go down 4-3 at Whittlesey United in the Peterborough and District League’s premier division on Saturday.

Town were two up inside the first quarter of an hour with Callum O’Berg bagging both goals, his first at a corner and the second from long range.

But the hosts fought back and had pulled in front by half-time.

Martin Turiccki equalised for the Rutlanders but Whittlesey retook the lead and this time held on.

Uppingham, who have slipped down to tenth in the table, are at home to Deeping Rangers Reserves on Saturday.

Uppingham: Tom Hubbard, Martin Bennett, James Binley, Omar Elkashoty, Rob Forster, Jamie Howe, David Laughton, Jake Norton, Callum O’Berg, Jacob Porter, Martin Turiccki. Sub : Harry Gregg.

l Ryhall United enjoyed their best away win of the season beating Moulton Harrox Reserves 3-1 in the first division.

Ryhall were under pressure early in the game but they defended well and took the lead midway through the first half when Chris McRoyal slotted home a penalty after Joe Lippett had been felled in the area.

An outstanding fingertip save from goalkeeper John Feetham kept the score at 1-0 at the break.

At the start of the second half, Moulton levelled from a penalty of their own when Jono Smith was penalised for a push in the area but Ryhall battled hard and retook the lead when James Farmborough tapped in an excellent McRoyal free kick.

United defended well as Moulton piled on late pressure, and in the final minute Farmbrough raced clear of the hosts’ defence and picked out Alex Brown who headed home to seal the win.

Ryhall host Sutton Bridge on Saturday.

Ryhall: John Feetham, Mark Allum (Jono Smith), Robbie Blowers (James Sheehan), Rob Hilson, Pete Garford, Danny Sheehan, Barry Burton, James Farmbrough, Alex Brown, Chris McRoyal, Joe Lippet.

l Oakham United A lost their third straight game, defeated 5-2 at Riverside Rovers, but feel that they deserved to get something out of the game.

United went 1-0 up inside the opening five minutes when Liam Mullineaux set up Darren Short to score from inside the box.

Oakham continued to press but Riverside grew into the game and both sides missed from close range before Riverside levelled at a corner.

Oakham felt they should have had a penalty when James Farr was brought down by the goalkeeper but the referee awarded a corner and Riverside went on to take a 3-1 lead by half-time.

Two defensive mistakes proved costly for Oakham in the second half and Riverside pulled away to 5-1.

Oakham had another penalty appeal waved away when Nathan Bottomley was brought down, before Jonny Woods reduced the arrears with a well taken volley.

Oakham manager Dave Grieve said: “I feel we gave them a game and they’re one of the strongest team in the league.

“We deserved something from it and somehow didn’t get given two clear penalties.”

Oakham: Andrew Hunt; Darren Short (Jamie Palmer), Mike Reeson, Nathan Bottomley, James Farr; Liam Mullineaux, Jonny Woods (Luke Clark), Ben Eshelby (Danny Williams), Dom Gawden-Bone; Gary Rix, Matt Perry (Jason Short). Unused sub: Alan Wade