Vikings on four win streak

Langtoft United take on Thorney in the PDFL Premier Division. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090601001
Langtoft United take on Thorney in the PDFL Premier Division. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090601001
Have your say

Langtoft United made it four PDFL Premier Division wins on the bounce and laid a few demons to rest as they beat Thorney 3-2 on Saturday.

Thorney and Langtoft had both been promoted from Division One last season with Thorney, who ended the season as runaway champions, the only team to beat the Vikings home and away.

Langtoft started the game brightly and took the lead after 15 minutes. Talal Karama, on his 31st birthday, worked his way through the Thorney defence before firing the ball across goal for Jobi Froud to sidefoot home.

Almost immediately, against the run of play, Thorney swung in a near-post corner that Langtoft failed to deal with and were ultimately punished.

Ten minutes later Langtoft were back in front, Liam Buttery doing fantastically well to beat his man and pick out Karama to fire home.

Langtoft added a third shortly after half time with Karama scoring a fine individual goal, bursting past the Thorney centre back and smashing a shot past the keeper at his near post.

Thorney rarely threatened, but when called upon, Langtoft keeper Robbie Virgin was equal to the task, pulling off a splendid double save to thwart the danger.

Thorney added a somewhat fortuitous goal with the last kick of the game, the ball taking a wicked deflection and sailing high over the stranded Virgin, into the back of the net.

Langtoft manager Phil Gadsby said: “We were pretty depleted, so much so we had to name myself and assistant manager James Goode on the bench, but the lads that played all gave heroic performances.

“We had people playing with injuries and illness so to take all three points is a massive achievement by them all.”

I can’t quite believe the game finished 3-2 as I think we were in total control and could of added a couple more ourselves but it’s good to extend our run.”

Ancaster Cup

Langtoft lost 3-0 to Bourne Reserves in the Ancaster Cup, however the game turned on one pivotal moment.

With the scores tied at 0-0 after 75 minutes, Langtoft keeper Nathan Symonds collected a routine free-kick but in the process dislocated his shoulder and dropped the ball, allowing the Bourne forward to tap home. Having already made 3 subs Langtoft were reduced to 10 men with midfielder Dan Jarman going in goal.

Minutes later Langtoft were down to 9, defender Jacob Smitheringale limping off. Bourne made their advantage count scoring twice in quick succession to progress to the next round.

Gadsby said: “I thought neither team really did enough to win the game going forward and it looked like it was heading to penalties.

“Unfortunately for us Nath has popped his shoulder out and we’ve conceded in the process, after that it was game over. We all feel sorry for the lad as it doesn’t look like he’ll be able to play again.

“Good luck to Bourne in the next round and for the rest of their season.”