Wakes get much needed win against league’s bottom side after three losses in a week

Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 758962 or e-mail smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk
Want your club featured in the paper and online? Call our sportsdesk on 01780 758962 or e-mail smeditor@stamfordmercury.co.uk
Share this article
Have your say

Bourne Town suffered a 4-0 loss at Wellingborough Whitworth’s on Saturday, their third loss in the space of a week, but got back to winning ways against bottom of the league Stewarts and Lloyds Corby, winning 3-1.

The Wakes returned to winning ways thanks to a Henry Dunn’s double.

S&L have now lost 12 out of 12 after their new-look side came off second best to the Wakes at the Abbey Lawn.

Aaron Jesson scored a rare goal to give Bourne the lead six minutes in.

Djedje Gomes levelled for the Foundrymen after 35 minutes.

Parity proved shortlived, though, as Dunn put Bourne back in front five minutes before half-time.

The visitors had a player dismissed in the second period and Bourne wrapped up the victory with Dunn’s second goal 20 minutes from the end. Bourne head to fourth-placed Northampton Spencer on Saturday for the first of four successive away games.

On Saturday the result was never in doubt - but at least Bourne Town kept fighting to the final whistle.

The Wakes’ youngsters could have given up when they went 2-0 down after 10 minutes and then conceded an own-goal before the half-hour mark.

Whitworth’s fourth goal - taking their tally to 23 in five successive wins - came towards the end of a dominant display.

However there was still time for Bourne to come so close to a consolation which they deserved as left-back Dan Wilson’s last-minute drive crashed off the crossbar and Jones De Sousa saw his shot cleared off the line.

As a contest, though, it was all over very early.

Cavell Jarvis fired into the far corner, Remy Brittain headed home and Kevin Elger got the final touch to Whitworth captain Jonny Hazell’s right-wing cross.

Bourne should have pulled one back when Tom Cardall somehow missed the target while De Sousa was twice denied by keeper Lee Baxter in a two-minute spell.

Brittain nodded his second goal to seal the Wellingborough side’s victory from Ryan Baxter’s corner with nine minutes left.

It could have been worse as Andrew Moss appeared to trip Jamie White but the penalty appeals were turned down.

To their credit Bourne’s makeshift side battled away - but they must stop giving away so many goals.

Bourne boss Rafa Mazzarella was forced to bring himself on for the final 14 minutes and joked that he might start tonight’s home match.

He said: “We had to play someone who hasn’t even started for the reserves because three strikers were unavailable.

“So it was always going to be tough and then we went 3-0 down so quickly.

“I didn’t feel we were doing that badly, though, and in the last 15 minutes of the first half we were unlucky not to get a goal as we started passing the ball from the back

“But we have been leaking soft goals and not scrapping hard enough to stop conceding them at an alarming rate.

“We had two one-on-ones and we hit the bar so it’s quite disappointing that we couldn’t have stayed in the game for longer. We got blown away quite quickly.

“If we give everything we’ve got then there are no issues, especially as they are young lads. Right now we are about where we should be in the league and it’s all about trying to compete.”